How many of you still use these?

I keep verniers in places where they are used occasionally. They do not need batteries, and batteries go bad every time you don't have a replacement available. I also have one dial caliper which is kept in a spot where I would use an electronic caliper if not for the battery problem. I use micrometers when I need to be precise.

An old machinist I knew when I was young called them "very-nears."

My Starrett 3-inch 425 slide calipers are in my pocket everywhere, every day. They are my most-used tool.

In the mid 70's I got a entry level job in a tool/die mold shop , I had some tools . The owner , a (Euro dude) wanted to look in my tool box . He saw my Craftsman 6" dial caliper (no digital back then) , he wouldn't let me use it in his shop . I asked why , he said " if you drop them they will skip a tooth and you will be making bad parts". I got a Mitutoyo 6" vernier , I still have it today but it stays on my boat . It refuses to get rusty .
Mark .

I have 12" 24" and 36" still . No batteries to die , the gears never jump , heavy duty beams . The prices of these have gone up vs the dials and digital units . Cabin Fever last year was loaded with them but dayumm were they expensive . We'll see tomorrow what they bring up at the Fever .

I have two pair of 6" imports. I keep one in the house to do semi precision measuring in the house and one in the shop for semi critical precision as well. I also have the old spring inside calipers and a Marfadite pair for marking. Next step up is dial calipers and also a pair of Digital ones. My go To's are the dial ones because I don't need to worry about low battery charge. I also have Vernier Mics. All my mics are calibrated to .0001. I also have a digital that is supposed to be accurate up to 1/2 of 0001. It also repeats on the gage blocks. Of the vernier mics my faves are an older than dirt Starret and next in line are B&S then Shars. There just seems to be something about the Starret feel over the rest. I have high confidence in all of them since i keep check on them and I am the only one that use them. I guess my 70-year-old arthritic hands just like Starret the best. LOL

I mostly use digital calipers but I have an old B&S 6", a Sarrett 12", and an old B&S 24". The 6" B&S has dimples on the back for setting dividers. I use that feature quite a bit. I don't use calipers for precision work, preferring micrometers.

Measuring .001" with one is possible but one has to be extremely careful to avoid parallax and good at evaluating the centering of the two lines.

Reminds me of a ChemE PhD candidate in the early 70's who used a magnifying glass to read his slide rule from two vantage points, then averaged the readings to resolve parallax. But then he always aligned the slot-head screws on his experimental setups so they were vertical to avoid dust collecting in the slots and introducing error.

I, too, have several old school vernier calipers; this 24" one states that it can resolve 0.05mm/0.002":

24 in Vernier Caliper.jpeg

I have a 4 foot Starrett I picked up at a flea market. I couldn't just leave it there. I have not used it yet.
Sadly, I know the feeling . . . Either tomorrow or Sunday I'll post the items that I just couldn't leave without from this year's Cabin Fever.

Back