How mount/hold 7” x .3” steel disk?

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
This must have been answered multiple times before..my apologies and I will happily read any pointer to earlier threads...

I have a 7” steel disk (I don’t know what kind of steel, but it is magnetic and I can mill it with a carbide end mill). It is a wedge going from .3” to .4”

I want to turn it down to a uniform .3” on my PM1030V. I have a backplate. I do not want a center hole in the disk. I want all three sides machined.

How do I mount it to the back plate? Or, do I glue it to a short cylinder (co-axial with great care) that I then grab in a chuck? What glue is strong enough but also can release? This will be an interrupted cut.

Work holding is always such a puzzle.

Thank you for any ideas.

Cordially,

Bill

Hot glue to a spacer that you mounted and faced on the face plate. I have done this many times at the shop. Naturally light cuts and watch the temp of the disc. There are different strengths of hot glue that you can get.

A magnetic chuck would come in mighty handy for this.

At 7" and 0.3-0.4" thick you should be able to chuck it up with outside jaws in your 10" lathe. Mag chuck would be ideal and super glue will get the job done, so there are options.

I've used super glue, epoxy, & double sided tape (carpet tape to be exact) for things like this. I prefer to use epoxy but super glue is more common & cures quicker. A bit of heat will release either one.

As mentioned.... this is exactly the sort of stuff I got this for. :big grin:

20190212_120636.jpg
20190213_181619.jpg

Hot glue to a spacer that you mounted and faced on the face plate. I have done this many times at the shop. Naturally light cuts and watch the temp of the disc. There are different strengths of hot glue that you can get.

I've never thought to use hot glue before but if the type used holds up well it might be a good choice cause it would be much easier to separate than super glue, epoxy, or double side tape.

Most hot glues when applied to a smooth surface, just squirt on some denatured alcohol & it will peel right off with ease.

Super glue and other work arounds are much cheaper than mag chucks or surface grinders. This hobby is expensive enough without going with pricey .01% solutions every time some new work holding challenge comes along. First, use your brain. If that fails, then reach for your wallet. If you will be doing the job often, then get a convenient, sturdy, and time saving answer to the problem -- if you can afford it.

Back