How much backlash is acceptable on the cross slide of a lathe?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a PM1127 lathe and it's got a DRO. If I grab the cross slide and push and pull on it, the DRO will show about a .007 backlash.

I have a PM1127 lathe and it's got a DRO. If I grab the cross slide and push and pull on it, the DRO will show about a .007 backlash.
That's nothing, be happy. It can be .03-.05 and still producing good parts, if you know how to use the machine.

Half a turn would be way too much, 1/4 turn is not rare.

Sounds like it just came from the factory.
That’s good to hear, when I dial in the mill over a point, I lock the table and get .001-.003 movement.
I have found if I snug the locks just a bit then find center or dimension, I get very little movement.
I misread, I was thinking mill. My lathe is adjustable to .005-.008” on the cross slide.

Yeah, all I've been doing when I'm turning or something is I pull back on the cross slide so it can't move back anymore when I'm using the lathe.

Our Cincinnati had a half turn when we finally decided to repair it
That was a heck of a good lathe

Yeah, all I've been doing when I'm turning or something is I pull back on the cross slide so it can't move back anymore when I'm using the lathe.

Unnecessary as long as you feed in (towards center) to the number, the lash is removed. This is why it's possible to do accurate work on a machine with .06 lash. When I got my Heavy 10L it had .140 lash.

Back