How much is this lathe worth?

Hi Braeden,

Go in with eyes wide open! ...although it sounds like you already understand that and are doing your homework.

It was touched on above, but powering it is the other big thing next to condition.

What voltage does the existing motor use?
Is it 3-phase?
What size is it? (HP)
Do you have 220V available?

If you need to replace the motor, that could be another big expense.
Also finding a VFD big enough to run it from 220V could be expensive.
I see 220V single phase in, to 220V 3-phase out, 3HP VFD's on ebay starting at a couple hundred dollars; but 5HP ones for around $500.
Of course there are cheaper brands too.

Just some more things to think about.

I personally would love to have a machine that big and old..... if in reasonable condition.

Brian

Last edited:
My uncle has a 10 hp 3 phase he’s giving me to make a rotary phase converter, he has a lot of smaller 3 phase motors laying around that I could use. My grandpa has a 3 hp 3 phase that has a phase converter and it runs on 220, so I have a few options to repower it if I need to.

If it works well, or work decently, it is worth much more than $600. However, you may ask how much it costs. It is based on supply and demand. I think you're in luck in this case.

If you can't use it, it can cost you alot more than the upfront payment.

Goes to show you how much I do not know... to me it looks in amazing condition... and preserved by grease, grime, and dust...

The broken handles looks to be easy to make/fix... I can't, at least from those photos, see any wear on the ways...

If there was a safe and easy way to get it out and move it over, if I was you, it would have been in my garage or shop even before making this post...

Braeden, the farmers you know must be different than the farmers I know.
The ones I know are messy hillbilly’s that aren’t organized or care that much about their tools, most that I know are in northeastern PA

Braeden, the farmers you know must be different than the farmers I know.
Farmers around here aren't exactly the best at maintaining their equipment or tools in general either. It's more of a "just get it running" mentality.

Duct tape and WD40 reign supreme......

Last edited:
I guess lazy farmers must be an a east coast thing then. :)
The serial number will probably be on the operator’s side on the far right ways.
at least all the govt. surplus lathes i‘ve run we’re.
and most were Navy surplus, they had a Anchor stamped next to the Ser #.
with ser# (or another placard on the lathe) you may discover a manufacture date.
cheers

I guess lazy farmers must be an a east coast thing then. :)
Nope, I've seen the same thing in BC, same in the prairies and the same in central Canada.

Probably more about fixing something as cheaply and a quickly as possible to get the job done than it is "laziness".

Might also have something to do with farmers are trained as farmers, not mechanics. When they fix stuff, it's mostly self taught skills rather than being taught the "right" way....not that all farmers "buck-shee" things, some actually learn the "right way" and some just call the local implement store and have the service dept come and pick up the big machines when they break.

The rest? duct tape and wd40.....

Last edited:
Back