How not to service a Jacobs chuck

I had forgotten about that. Lucky the collet fit!!

Anyway,finding a used 1/2" Jacobs with a 33 taper on ebay shouldn't be difficult,then. They are EL MUCHO more common than the safety collar types.

yep, I'm a lucky guy :) So much so, that another generous member of this site is sending me one of his spare 33JT taper chucks as a replacement. Then I can use this one that I've "fixed" to hold a countersink or hole finder to cut down on swapping things in and out of the chuck.

Finished my second milling project last night, I'll post pictures up in the POTD thread when I get a chance. Getting better each time, although I now need to fit my digital caliper scales to the vise and quill as eyeballing it just isn't accurate enough!

Matt,do be careful with that chuck. Those special Jacobs with the safety collar are rather rare,and cost a good bit if you buy them new. It might cost more than your drill press did.

And now,Jacobs are made in China. The new ones might not be very good.

I am wondering if it would be possible to take a SIMILAR 1/2" Jacobs chuck without the collar,and just fit your collar parts to it? I have no idea if the bodies would be the same,but just without the collar.

Now that you have the collet chuck though,it is not really a necessity to have the locking collar on your chuck. You shouldn't be putting sideways pressure on it to make it come loose from the #33 taper. You could just get a regular 1/2" chuck that is more common,with the 33 taper hole in the top,and use that,if worse comes to worse. And,try to buy an old MADE IN USA Jacobs in good shape. I can't advise buying a Chinese Jacobs. I just do not know if they are good or not. Perhaps Jacobs has them made to the proper tolerances,and of GOOD metal. I have no idea.

And there I go again learning something new, I did NOT know that was a 'safety' collar. I took one off a 33.
Where's the jackass emoticon?...

_Dan

Matt,glad someone sent you a chuck. I was going to see if I had a spare one.

thanks George on both counts. I consider myself very lucky to be part of this community! Now, if you could find me some extra time in the day so I can get out to the shop, that would be even more appreciated!

pretending it doesn't exist :)

I'll chuck up the truest bit of rod I can find later if I can grab some garage hours and see if the runout is reasonable (0.005?). If it is, then I'll leave it as is. If not, I'll have to wait for payday and get a replacement.

Seems to me that a steel collar with a shrink fit would close up the crack some and at least give some peace of mind.

Back