How pull off 4x6 worm gear?

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
This must have been discussed before. Sorry, but in searching, could not find an explanation...

I have a 4 year-old HF 4x6 bandsaw. Has suited me well. Changed the oil once a few years ago. It started to make more noise than usual. When I drained the oil again, the bronze worm gear is severely worn. I have the replacement worm gear in hand.

But, I do not see how to pull the worm gear off. I can't get a gear puller into the confined space.

I have seen people talk about an entire disassembly, starting at the drive wheel on the other side of the shaft. Is this the right way to proceed? I see there are multiple bearings in their that will need to get pulled and reseated.

But, is there a way to just pull what I see in the gear box straight out?

Thanks.

-Bill

Hi Bill- you might have to make a kluge puller with some long 1/4" bolts. With mine I eventually took the whole gearbox apart to change the bearings, which was a pain cause the bearings were in a cylindrical carrier which was pressed into the cast iron frame from the back. Yours may be different
I think I just tapped the drive shaft from the gear side and the whole carrier, shaft and bearing assembly pushed out leaving the gear in the box. In fact now I do remember that's exactly what I did
When I put it back together I used bearings with rubber seals and used loctite and epoxy. It's sealed up tight as a drum now, no leaks. On mine, the gear was pinned to the shaft which took some tricky extraction with a c-clamp and bits of rod to inch out the pin a bit at a time. Hellish, but strangely enjoyable
-Mark

Last edited:
When you reassemble it, do not use an EP type, that is what eats up bronze worm gears; the EP additive corrodes the bronze and the worm wears off the corrosion, a continous process, until there is no worm gear left.

Back