How to address this wear

rficalora

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Once I finally was able to get the chuck off of the lathe I'm refurbishing, I removed the spindle seal retainer to get the numbers off of it to get a new one (the oil leaked out when I had filled it prior to starting the refurbishment). This is what I found, which I figure will just eat up a new seal. I'm assuming I could get a speedi-sleeve for it but that seems like it might make future bearing replacement harder since the speedi-sleeve would be in the way of getting the bearing off. Is there a better way to address this or is the speedi-sleeve the way to do it?

IMG_20230302_173955314.jpg

Speedi sleeve it. Or remove the shaft have it metal sprayed. I don't know how straight they stay after spraying.

Sometimes if it can be polished smooth enough the new seal will work even if the shaft is a few thousands over size

That looks too rough to polish out, probably have to re-grind that or metal spray
What brand/model of lathe? The sleeve is probably the cheapest/easiest way

Thanks everyone; I really appreciate the ongoing help as I work through this. I'd not heard of metal spraying; I'll have to research that to see what it is and if it makes sense financially for this lathe. It's a Taiwan import (Tida/Samson 5aa) that I picked up for $1,400. Shimming it out might work; I have it apart but seem to recall there only being about 1/4" between the retainer and the chuck. Although, thinking as I type, I suppose I could make a new retainer that accounted for the spacer. Will look into it.

I did a lot of metalizing where I worked and we never sprayed lip seal surfaces. Have it sleeved or do it yourself if you can.

Definitely sleeve it. It looks like the spindle is still in the lathe, so turning it should be no problem. Be sure to oil & protect the bearing.

Back