How To Adjust Or Repair A Toggle Clutch That Will Not Provide Friction To Main Gear

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi Guys,

I have been a year restoring a South Bend 10 L Circa 1944 it is all done but I have been driven crazy trying to get the clutch to grab it's main and be controlled by the spiral gear that surrounds the lead screw and will turn with the lead screw when enough friction is present.
I am certain all the disc plated are in order and the toggle pulls the clutch in all the way but it seems to me that when completely pulled in to the assembly friction should be sufficient to cause the main gear to not freewheel
does it need to be in the oil of the reservoir.. right now it is running dry... I have not yet filled the reservoir in the apron until I am certain I have solved the problem.
Any one have any thoughts ? Or is anyone interested in going over the whole apron for a fee, before I go crazy and sell the damn Lathe. It is about my age so I decided to do this. it was running properly before I took it apart. when working properly, It will not be for sale while I'm able to use it
I'm serious about paying someone to check and find and repair the problem with the Apron....I will ship it to you unless you are local enough to South Jersey for me to deliver it
The entire lathe is Powder coated deep candy blue ( Transparent ) over Ink Black and Clear coated
Hope t0 hear from anyone who can help
I have restored a half dozen 9" Work shop SBL's with no problems. this is my first Heavy 10 and this clutch is killing me.
Thanks everyone

joe Biplane diamond@easyliving.com

Hi Joe: I have no specific answer for your clutch issue.
Now you have me searching for a pic of that deep "candy blue ( Transparent ) over Ink Black and Clear coated" 10l.
lk

Attachments

• 2003Sticky clutch.pdf
    333.6 KB · Views: 11
  • toggle cam 992C.pdf
    425.9 KB · Views: 8
Back