How to adjust RF45 gibs

sanddan

Active User
Registered
I have a new Enco RF45 clone mill and the Y axis is very stiff. I tried to adjust the gib but no luck getting it looser. I un-tightened the screw (which was loose by the way) but the gib itself does not move. any ideas what i should do?

You might try applying either grease or oil to the brass leadscrew nut itself. I had greased my screw a few years ago and it had dried up and become more stiff. I just re-oiled it and it now runs fine again.

I also re-adjusted my Gibs, but I am far from an expert in this area. I started by loosening them up quite a bit and then discovered the leadscrew nut lubrication problem. I then snugged them up.

I just looked up the Enco manual and it is pretty poor, but if your machine is like it on page 6 the talk about adjusting the Jib and Job ha ha...and in the Blue print it shows a gib screw that fits in a notch in the Gib. So if your gib bolt came out with out the gib, the gib notch must be broken. and the gib has slid in to far and jammed up. You will need to get a thin piece of steel say 1/8" x 3/4" x 12" and slide it in behind the back side of the gib and hit it with a hammer. Be sure not to use a round punch as this will damage the gib. I am guessing at the thickness, it might be thinner but look down there and check and see. If by chance your gib is different then the book from Enco, there may be 2 gib bolts one on each end. That would be nice as then you tighten the thin end bolt and the gib will move out. If you look in My Forum Machine Scraping and Rebuilding, I have a thread on how to adjust a gib. If you need any other help you can call me 65 338 8141. Like I said, Please do not use a round punch to hammer on as I have seen several gibs get peened when someone does that.
http://www.use-enco.com/Machinery/105-1300.pdf

Well, I had more time to look into this and I discovered that there is a screw at each end of the gib. It looks nothing like the parts breakdown in the manual. I was able to loosen it up somewhat but it still seems stiff to me. I also lubed the leadscrew while I had the chip cover off.

mount a mag base and indicator on the machine and push pull as seen in the pictures. You need to have .0005" to .001" slop or lost motion in the gib. If it's to tight the ways will get scored, as no oil will get in there. The slop is filled with way oil.

Back