How to avoid running into my chuck on power feed.

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
As a new lathe owner, I am very leery about running my cutter into my chuck, especially if the power feed for the apron is engaged toward the chuck. So what are the safeguards against doing this? I have a carriage stop. Would the clutch slip if the apron hit the stop?

Running a lathe requires concentration of course; the clutch may slip, but the scenario you described will cause damage and/or injury and you want to avoid that. Keep the spindle drive belt on the loose side as a precaution.
Use the slow spindle speeds at first as you get comfortable with the machine. Never leave the chuck key in the chuck after tightening.
-Mark

Last edited:
If you have a clutch. it should slip if you hit the stop, though it isn't a good idea to power feed it to the stop in the expectation that it will solve the problem. You can power feed just short of the stop and manually advance the carriage
the rest of the way to the stop.
The safeguard against crashing your lathe is being attentive to what you're doing.

Use a stop, keep your hand on the belt tension lever. Keep the belt engaged tension a little light until you have confidence and need the torque.
Southbend has a clutch in the carriage drive that generally saves it from damage but you shouldn't rely on it as your first choice.

Imagine being a metal shop instructor in Jr. High or High school back in the day (I had it in both)
All those young guys and a few gals and a room full of finger breaking, flesh ripping machines :cupcake:
-Mark
ps I think the woodshop was more dangerous

Last edited:
On my 10K I did some experiments to get a feel for how many turns of the clutch knob achieved engaged the clutch.
When I’m doing an op that runs close to the chuck I have my hand on the clutch knob and disengage it when/where I want the carriage to stop.

I was recently doing some work and did over a dozen passes to within 1/32” of the chuck without mishap.

As others have said. Running a lathe requires full concentration at all times.

What lathe do you have? Does you lathe have a factory carriage stop that automatically disengages the power feed?

The clutch MAY slip and prevent major damage. BUT there will still be significant damage AND/OR bodily injury. With any machine you have to pay very close attention to what you are doing or it will bite, and bite hard.

"What lathe do you have? Does you lathe have a factory carriage stop that automatically disengages the power feed?"

I have a south Bend 10K. In the picture you can see my apron and carriage stop. I do not think the lathe is designed to disengage the power feed if the apron hits the stop. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• carriageStop.JPG
    carriageStop.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back