How to build a compression ignitor

The temperature rise is so quick and doesn’t last long, so you probably don’t need to worry too much about the temperature rating of the plastic, but if you have a choice, go with the higher rating. I have a fire piston I made out of aluminum and brass based on Clickspring’s design and can’t feel any temperature rise in the components, but I also haven’t gotten it to light the paper, it is just charring it. I need to make some char cloth and see if that works.

The temperature rise is so quick and doesn’t last long, so you probably don’t need to worry too much about the temperature rating of the plastic, but if you have a choice, go with the higher rating. I have a fire piston I made out of aluminum and brass based on Clickspring’s design and can’t feel any temperature rise in the components, but I also haven’t gotten it to light the paper, it is just charring it. I need to make some char cloth and see if that works.

I did the same. It only worked with char cloth IME, which is easily made with a cotton tshirt square in some aluminum foil over a small flame. I found it difficult to balance. I couldn't get enough char cloth to keep it lit long enough to light a fire, so I drilled the pocket deeper. Once the pocket was deeper it held more cloth, but didn't seem to have the compression necessary to light it consistently.

Back