how to clean old oil residue from vintage brass oilcan

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In hunting down parts and tools for my new old Logan 820, I picked up an old Eagle 66 brass oilcan. What's the best way to get old oil residue out of the can and off the brass? I know one usually uses vinegar for lamp oil, but this isn't lamp oil and it's not a lamp...

And, I suspect it has a small leak in the base seal. Best way to close the leak? Solder?

thanks
Tim

My go to cleaning solution for the shop is 1/3 water, 1/3 simple green and 1/3 industrial ammonia. And a soft solder repair sounds good to me. But it MUST be clean.

I personally wouldn't use vinegar. It is water based and water and oil don't mix. I find that WD40 does a great job of softening old oil. If you need a little more action, adding some lead shot, BB's, or gravel to the mix and swirling it will scour out the most stubborn deposits.

Thanks to both of you. I've had great success with WD40 in cleaning the lathe. Haven't tried Simple Green. Any thoughts about Purple Power? It's wonderful at removing paint; curious if it would hurt the brass. I would probably only use it on the outside.

Tim

Never heard of it! Is it like Purple Power or Super Clean?

Tim

If you are cleaning brass, some of the water based detergents will attack brass. I know that the Cascade dishwashing product will remove all oxidation from the copper bottom pots and pans. I expect that it also attacking the copper metal. Brass, containing zinc, may be even more susceptible.

Once you get the major scungies off, Brasso will put the final polish on it.

I like mineral spirits for cleaning oil residue. If you're in a hurry, brake parts cleaner or carburetor cleaner will clean it up quickly.

Back