How To Cut These Angled Slots?

My mentor said
1st) part shows what you should have done
2nd) part shows how to do it
3rd)part, if lucky works
4th)part is the one that will be used
one off’s are hard to get reasonable pay back, good luck

The tilting rotary table would make it easy. Tilt the table to 35º parallel to either the x or y axis. Cut along that axis with a slitting saw. Rotate the RT 90º and repeat., etc.

If you don't have access to a tilting RT, a sine plate can be used to set the 35º angle.

If you don't have a sine plate, you could create the angle by clamping a bar to the table to act as a stop and building up the opposite end by placing a piece of round stock in a vee block and clamping the vee block with suitable stacked spacers to create the necessary angle. Once the setup is done, clamp the RT in place and cut your slots.

Can you clamp your rotary table in your vise? If so, just pick up some angle parallels and you're in business. They're not expensive.
Or an angle plate.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

The tilting rotary table would make it easy. Tilt the table to 35º parallel to either the x or y axis. Cut along that axis with a slitting saw. Rotate the RT 90º and repeat., etc.

If you don't have access to a tilting RT, a sine plate can be used to set the 35º angle.

If you don't have a sine plate, you could create the angle by clamping a bar to the table to act as a stop and building up the opposite end by placing a piece of round stock in a vee block and clamping the vee block with suitable stacked spacers to create the necessary angle. Once the setup is done, clamp the RT in place and cut your slots.

Much like myself you failed to notice that the bottom of the slot is parallel to the axial plane, this will require a form tool in a mill, EDM will also do this job. For a one off hobby project grinding a slitting saw is the least expensive answer.

Much like myself you failed to notice that the bottom of the slot is parallel to the axial plane, this will require a form tool in a mill, EDM will also do this job. For a one off hobby project grinding a slitting saw is the least expensive answer.

I think the appearance of the slot bottom being parallel to the axial plane is a result of an angled slot intersecting a curved surface. I drew it up in 3D with a flat bottom slot and got the same results. The drawing really need a sectioned view.

I think the appearance of the slot bottom being parallel to the axial plane is a result of an angled slot intersecting a curved surface. I drew it up in 3D with a flat bottom slot and got the same results. The drawing really need a sectioned view.
Interesting, 35° is a considerable angle, I am surprised that the radius on such a small part would cause this. Post your drawings.

This is a quick drawing of a .700 cylinder with a flat bottom .020 slot .080 deep and angled at 35 deg.
Slot.jpg

Here is a SolidWorks rendition of the OP's part based on his dimensions. The tapped hole was left out and the axial position of the slots wasn't given. Otherwise is should be accurate. The slots were made as would be done with a slitting saw, the edge perpendicularFan Hub Section.JPG Fan Hub.JPG to the blade face. This is illustrated in the sectional view. As can be seen, the slots appear to be coming out with a bevel. This is due to the curvature of the hub.

Back