How to Deburr Holes in Thin Metal Parts

HarryJ

Registered
Registered
I am drilling 1/2" diameter holes in a 20 gauge steel, plated, part using a carbide, 2 flute end mill. The end mill produces a very good hole with a slight burr on each side of the part. What is a good method to remove these slight burrs without producing an excessive beveled edge or chatter marks as might be produced by a countersink bit? Has anyone used a Cratex abrasive cone on a Dremel tool to remove burrs?

I use a old school manual drill with a 60* chamfer bit. Acouple turns of the drill and the hole is deburred.

I recommend you use a good quality step drill to create the holes. They are perfect for thin metal. They leave zero burr on the entry side and no burr or distortion to the exit side unless you bend the metal by pushing too hard. Applying the step drill lightly to the exit side will cut a slight chamfer, if necessary.

A step drill (larger than 1/2") will easilly remove burrs from your 20ga stock.

I have a hand de-burring tool, but it is difficult to not nick the edge of the hole. The parts I am drilling are used on expensive electronic equipment, so appearance is important. I am trying to simulate the appearance of a punched hole.

One thing that might be contributing to the nicks is a dull blade in the deburring tool. Try a new blade, and start out with very light pressure. That's worked for me.

Would it be out if the question to make yourself a punch? If you're making alot of these, it might be worth the effort.

I have had good luck with this type of deburring tool.
Cheers
Martin
1626485517924.jpeg

Back