How to direction from cw to ccw with a switch of a single phase double capacitor motor.

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hallo guys.

I am almost done with building my 50mm×2000mm belt grinder and I have the motor running the right way at present,but would like the option reversing the direction with a switch if needed. I am not an electric buff so please bear with me.

It is a single phase double capacitor motor 220V. Can someone guide me with a simple drawing on how to wire the motor to the power supply through a switch wich I can use to change direction between cw and ccw.

It is currently wired like the drawing on the right.
Screenshot_20231126-150544.jpg
Thank you in advance.

Michael.

Hi Michael- You flip the main winding. You will need a double pole, double throw switch, plus a single pole on/off switch:
It would be good to see the motor dataplate to verify the terminals- some motors have 3 windings and would be wired differently
240vrevsw.jpeg

Last edited:
If you happen to have one of the so-called "hockey stick" drum switches you could do it with one switch :
The chopstick style could also be used but wired differently
240vrevswdrum.jpegDrumstyles1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Michael- You flip the main winding. You will need a double pole, double throw switch, plus a single pole on/off switch:
It would be good to see the motor dataplate to verify the terminals- some motors have 3 windings and would be wired differently
View attachment 468233

I wouldn't use a separate switch for on/off. The motor has to come to a stop before reversing otherwise it just continues in the same direction. A on-off-on three pole, double throw switch should be used. I use a 3 position rotary switch on mine. It lessens the possibility of moving past the off position to the reverse position. I used this switch. It is configurable for a single phase motor, a three phase motor, or a d.c. motor.

That's fine Michael, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dual-voltage motor
It has an error anyhow- they have U2 connected to V1 in both cases LOL

Last edited:
Is the wiring the same as how Mark posted?
View attachment 468423
I will have to see what is available to me.
The switch that I used was user configurable. It has 12 pairs of contacts which can be cross wired for whatever you need.
Lathe Switch Contacts.JPG
If you want to use one set as a simple on/off/on, you would connect contacts 1 and 3 together and 2 and 4 together. For a reversing switch, you would connect contacts 5 and 7, contacts 9 and 11, contacts 6 and 10, and contacts 8 and 12 together.

One set of contacts would be configured for on/off/on and the other two sets configured for reversing the start winding. For 240 volt operation, 120/240 volt capacitor start motors reverse direction by leaving one end of the start winding connected to the center tap of the run windings and the other through the centrifugal switch and start capacitor to the contact of the reversing switch.

The sketch I did in post #2 was for a simple electronic-style toggle FYI
toggles.jpg

Last edited:
Will this work? Found it on Aliexpress. It says 1 pole but it also says 4 terminals.Screenshot_20231128-162517-1.jpg

Back