How to drill at an angle without angle vise

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I want to make a few production parts that will require 2 holes, each, at 30ᴼ. My angle vise sucks and I drill with my milling head so I can't tilt the table.
What are some good ways to hold the parts and swap them out for quick repeats?

A drawing would help to understand what you want.

This is a 2D of the part I'm going to make. It will be 3/4" aluminum.
I need to drill 2 holes an the face at a 30ᴼ angle. The holes will be stepped. Approximately 1/2" and 7/16 diameter steps.
1713404404987.png

Last edited:
Depending on the shape of your part I have drilled and pressed in a couple dowel pins into the fixed soft jaw on the vise several time in the past.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm trying to recreate the functionality of this part with a completely different look.

1713405595481.png

leave it rectangular until after you drill the angled holes. Hold in the mill vise at an angle set with an angle block or a sine bar. Spot with a small end mill to get a flat. Then spot dill and work up to final size. Once your angled holes are done, go on finishing the rest of the profiling work.

You mentioned production and repeats so a little time on a fixture might be worth it. My approach would be to do the profile and mounting holes first and save the angled holes until your last operation. I mocked up my approach for you in a way that could be all manually machined. The angle could be simply laid out with scribes and referenced in the vise for the fixture block machining. The holes on your finished part are used fasten the part in place which is located by one ledge and the dowel pin.

-Nick

Fixture 1.JPGFixture 2.JPGFixture 3.JPG

Production?

Make a fixture that the part bolts to that holds it in the correct position.

Fixture can be just a chunk of metal large enough for your vice to hold with the top at an angle that would allow the needed work to be vertical.

Your part has mounting holes so easy.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back