How to drill in center of round object with drill press?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I’m making a quill feed lever for my mill and I’m trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the lever and have it be in the center of the part. I’m wanting to drill it on the angle. My drill press table can rotate so I planned on rotating the table to the correct angle. I can mark the spot on center with my lathe.

I don’t have a xy table on my drill press so i will have to trial and error it. Would the lathe center height trick with a ruler being straight when centered work for this?

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 21
I thought about that. I could tilt the head to the angle. That would give me x and y then.

If you have one use an end mill to make a flat spot on your part before center drilling to minimize drill wonder.

If your mill is functional, mount it for the angle you want for the handle. Use an endmill the same size as your drill, and side mill into the taper to create a flat spot; center drill, final drill to size, and tap.

If you have one use an end mill to make a flat spot on your part before center drilling to minimize drill wonder.
Sometimes I paint a clear picture in my head but don’t always convey it. I will drilling in the angled section on the same plane of it. The surface will be perpendicular to the drill bit.

Once the drill hits the surface it will get knocked off do to the radius. Best to do like Gaffer said substitute the drill for the same size center cutting end mill.

I think it would go like this.
1. fixture the part so that the angled plane is perpendicular to the drill bit/plane
2. Use an endmill to slightly flatten the area where the drill will penetrate
3. Use a drill to drill the hole.

For step 1 you might have to get creative. Angle Vice if you have one. Make a single use custom fixture if needed.

Start with a center drill if you have one.

Also, you need a place to start. If your part is in a vise, measure the distance between the two jaws while the vise is holding your part. Divide by 2 to find center. Measure that distance from the fixed jaw of your vise. This should get you close.

Back