How to eliminate mold and musty smell from old tool cases?

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently bought some vintage measuring tools that included the OEM clam shell cases.
The case's exteriors are that sort of stippled material (assumed to be manmade, but might be leather). The interiors are fitted and lined with padded felt.
The cases have a musty smell that I imagine is from mildew (or other growth) in the materials. When I received them, there was a light coating of whiteish "dust" (spores?) on the outside and inside of the cases.
The felt looks fine and the exteriors will clean up OK with Goo Gone, I think, but I'm not sure how to eliminate the fungus/smell without without damaging or rebuilding the cases.
I can clean the exterior surfaces with household cleaners that I think will only be "skin deep". I don't know if that will kill the mold.
The interior (padded felt) is a bit scarier to me. I'm concerned that a spray-on liquid cleaner will damage the felt.

I have Sleep Apnea so have a SoClean Ozone generator to help keep the CPAP equipment clean. I am considering putting the cases (open) into a plastic bag and pumping the bag full of Ozone for a few hours. What do you think?

I have read that spraying the surfaces with a 5% solution of Sodium Carbonate will kill mold, but I don't know if that will neutralize the smell. What do you think?

I could get some Febreze odor-fighting fabric freshener, but I suspect that's a mostly "palliative" option. What do you think?

What method(s) do you have good experience with?

I intend to include some VCI paper in the cases for future storage but I'd like to "neutralize" them first.

By the way, the tools are matte chrome plated (maybe hard chrome?) and are in very good condition, regardless of the long term damp storage.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, try the high levels of ozone for several hours. If the felt and outer materials are so old they take damage from only a few hours of ozone treatment they were toast anyway.

You could also try spraying it with Concrobium.

Molds (and most plant and insects) don't take heat well. 160 F isn't going to hurt most materials, but a living
fungus is less durable (a few kinds of spores might survive).
There's always an oily rag in the shop, that can wipe off a dusty item.
For aroma, UV lamps, electrostatic air filters and a media-blasting cabinet would be useful combination.
Does anyone remember the Puritron?

I'd throw them in the sun for several hours, but I see you're in Washington, so that's not an option for you... ;-)

I'd probably use some upholstery shampoo - Meguir's (sp?) makes a spray foam that's pretty good and has been harmless to everything I've tried it on.

GsT

I recently bought some vintage measuring tools that included the OEM clam shell cases.
The case's exteriors are that sort of stippled material (assumed to be manmade, but might be leather). The interiors are fitted and lined with padded felt.
The cases have a musty smell that I imagine is from mildew (or other growth) in the materials. When I received them, there was a light coating of whiteish "dust" (spores?) on the outside and inside of the cases.
The felt looks fine and the exteriors will clean up OK with Goo Gone, I think, but I'm not sure how to eliminate the fungus/smell without without damaging or rebuilding the cases.
I can clean the exterior surfaces with household cleaners that I think will only be "skin deep". I don't know if that will kill the mold.
The interior (padded felt) is a bit scarier to me. I'm concerned that a spray-on liquid cleaner will damage the felt.

I have Sleep Apnea so have a SoClean Ozone generator to help keep the CPAP equipment clean. I am considering putting the cases (open) into a plastic bag and pumping the bag full of Ozone for a few hours. What do you think?

I have read that spraying the surfaces with a 5% solution of Sodium Carbonate will kill mold, but I don't know if that will neutralize the smell. What do you think?

I could get some Febreze odor-fighting fabric freshener, but I suspect that's a mostly "palliative" option. What do you think?

What method(s) do you have good experience with?

I intend to include some VCI paper in the cases for future storage but I'd like to "neutralize" them first.

By the way, the tools are matte chrome plated (maybe hard chrome?) and are in very good condition, regardless of the long term damp storage.

Thanks for reading.
so from what I remember reading, Ozone generators are terrible machines.
They damage the lungs, they cause asthma.
They break down plastics, and other materials. And that's just the beginning of it.
Why?

Your best bet is to clean it with simple green, if that doesn't work add a thimble of chlorine to the mix.
If the case is metal, no chlorine.

If it were a wood case I would tell you to clean it, then dry it out, sand it smooth, and shellac it. Shellac seals all smells in.

But it sound like a metal case. so clean it thoroughly. Then take some charcoal, and break it up using a hammer. Create a powder... put it in a box..
lay a paper on top, then put the case in.. leave it for a few weeks, the charcoal may absorb the offending smell.

edit: remove the felt, it won't let the smell go, refelt it.. use spray 77 for gluing it back down.

Give the ozone a try. You already have the machine. Do it outside or fill the plastic bag with O3 and put that outside, leave it several hours then open it outside and let it air out. Ozone is something used for mold and odors like smoke. May need a few applications.

I have done that with old camera and binocular cases (That vintage smell) and it works well.

I would think that the ozone treatment would be least invasive. The end product will be oxygen (O2). Ozone is highly reactive with organic matter but once the source is removed, any residue should quickly dissipate. Worst case, you end up with a fresh after a thunderstorm smell. I would vacuum prior to the ozone treatment to remove as many of the spores as possible. Mold and mildew spores are fairly resistant to harsh environments and it takes a fairly strong chemical to neutralize them. Chlorine bleach will work but it will leave an obnoxious chlorine oder. Hydrogen peroxide might also do the job although you would have to dry the case thoroughly afterward. Other types of cleaners aren't going to do the job on felt.

Thank you all for your input.

I think I'll vacuum thoroughly then try the Ozone treatment.
I hadn't heard of Concrobium before, but I'll order some of that also and evaluate when it gets here.

Back