• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

How to Fit a Sherline Pulley to Taig Headstock

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

oskar

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Back in 2012 I bought a set of a Taig ER16 headstock along with a Sherline VS motor for a hobby project I was doing (the ER16 was fitted with a Sherline Pulley to match the Sherline motor pulley). Recently I bought a Taig Mini Lathe along with a 3 jaws chuck to start learning machining however this headstock is 3/4-16 (My mistake because I thought all Taig headstocks were ER16).

Since it’s easy to change the headstock along with the motor on a Taig Lathe I use the ER16 for milling and the 3/4-16 for turning by switching the ER16 pulley but then I have to re align the belt and this process became a pain so I bought a new Sherline headstock pulley part #43367. Now to another surprise the new pulley does not fit the 3/4-16 headstock and it looks like the ER16 Sherline pulley I had has been machined to fit.

The 3/4-16 shaft is 0.624” and the new pulley ID is 0.557” (the old pulley ID is 0.621”). My only option is to machine it myself since a local machine shop charges $75 just for the setup time! My machining skills are limited plus I don’t have any cutting tools neither I know what tool is required. I do have blanks of HSS 1/4" SQ stock which I can grind to what is needed if someone tells me what I need plus I have a set of 5 carbide cutting tools but I don’t think these are suitable for this job.

Any help is much appreciated

Attachments

chips&more

Active User
Registered
You do have a working lathe…correct? Instead of trying to hold and modify that pulley. What about making a totally new pulley?

oskar

As I mentioned my Lathe skills are limited and making a new pulley is not a project I would consider right now. Searching further on the web I noticed some using a Chucking Reamer or Hand adjustable blade Reamers but I don’t know if this is appropriate in my situation

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Holding size and concentricity would be concern, doing that way. Maybe put a shout out to local HM folks near you for machining help…Dave

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Oskar,
I think boring it to size would be the thing to do if you had the equipment. But honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd use a reamer. In fact if I didn't have that I would use a 5/8 drill in the drill press. Once you get your 3 jaw turning your options become greater. You have to get off the ground somehow. I checked the price on your Sherline pulley. I've scrapped far better pieces than that :)

By the way, the shaft your fitting it to is 5/8".

Good Luck,
--Chip

oskar

Holding size and concentricity would be concern, doing that way. Maybe put a shout out to local HM folks near you for machining help…Dave
I noticed there are 22 HM members in Canada but how do I contact them? Each one individually or there is a way to post here for all Canadian members?

Chip Hacket

I don't know of a way to filter by country. Or proximity for that matter.

Once you get the hang of your Taig I'm sure you will really like it. I have one myself.

--Chip

oskar

Oskar,
I think boring it to size would be the thing to do if you had the equipment. But honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd use a reamer. In fact if I didn't have that I would use a 5/8 drill in the drill press. Once you get your 3 jaw turning your options become greater. You have to get off the ground somehow. I checked the price on your Sherline pulley. I've scrapped far better pieces than that :)
By the way, the shaft your fitting it to is 5/8".
Good Luck,
--Chip
You are right Chip, I paid $40 incl. shipping for the pulley but been in Canada my choice is limited. BTW thanks for the drawing which is very nice to have. The shaft is 5/8" but the pulley ID must be a bit less so the fit is tight and may also have to heat the pulley (hot water is fine) to install. To my opinion 5/8 drill will be too big. Perhaps the forum admin may be able to tell me if / how I can filter messages for the Canadian members

Chip Hacket

There are folks here that know way more than I. However, I have a stock Taig pulley that fits over that very same shaft and my 5/8 drill bit fits in the hole.

oskar

We are getting somewhere here Chip, I think!

On the attached picture at the right is the old Sherline pulley I have which fits the ER16 shaft and the 5/8” drill I have fits nicely inside the hole and actually it wobbles a bit. On the left is the new Sherline pulley which I have to open up the ID to fit.

I wonder if I should take the dip and do it. What I’m afraid is the run out I may have when I start the drill press. I measured the run out by turning the drill chuck by hand and I have non but the slowest RPM my Delta bench mounted drill press has is 620 RPM which is kind of too fast. Perhaps I can buy another smaller drill and do the job in 2 steps.

Any ideas how to hold the pulley in place if I decide to drill it?

Attachments

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Using a drill press and a 5/8” drill bit will definitely make a bigger hole. BUT, you do not want just a bigger hole. Sorry, but everything about that idea IHMO is bad practice. Please try a lathe with boring bar…Dave

oskar

Using a drill press and a 5/8” drill bit will definitely make a bigger hole. BUT, you do not want just a bigger hole. Sorry, but everything about that idea IHMO is bad practice. Please try a lathe with boring bar…Dave
Dave you are absolutely right but kind of late because this morning I did use my 5/8” drill on the pulley however the hole is big and the worst the hole is oval, not by a lot but you don’t need any of it on a pulley.

Bottom line I learnt my lesson and for now I will use both headstocks like I did before (by switching the good pulley I have) and as the time goes by and I gain the required experience one day I will turn the “oval” pulley down and make a proper sleeve to fit.

Chip Hacket

My apologies if I gave you bad advice. I was just saying based on your options available. I suspect it would still work well enough for you to make one better. If there is a way for me to help, I certainly will.

oskar

No apologies needed Chip, I just thank you for trying to help me

It was my decision to do it and although the results was not successful I’m glad I did it because I learned firsthand what happens.

Not all is lost, I’m sure I can salvage the pulley later on when I have more experience and the time.

[6]
[5] [7]