How to get Near-Chrome Finish on 303 Stainless?

Curiously enough I ran a job the last 2 days from 1" SS round bar, it was only 100 parts and the drawing only specified 3XX SS so I picked a bar off of the drop rack and made 45 parts before the bar ran out, Went back to the drops and grabbed another 24" bar.
The difference in finish was striking, I assume the first bar was 303 and the second 304, the finished dimensions also changed, this is a CNC lathe so adjustments are easy.
304 part on the left and 303 part on the right, same machine, setup, tooling, programmed speeds and feeds and coolant turned within minutes of one another.
I have never tried polishing 303 so have no experience there, it may not be possible to achieve the mirror finish that is easily accomplished in 304/316.
It machines much easier however, think screw machine stock. The 304 had a shiny finish and the 303 was dull.

P,
That is interesting--quite a difference in finish, and the 303 on the right looks a lot like the parts I made when they came off the lathe.

The addition of sulphur makes it far easier to machine, as mentioned I do not know if it will polish to an 8 finish but suspect not.
If you require a 7 or 8 finish you may have to do it again in 304 or 316.
Aside from the finish and a slight dimensional change in the boring operation the most notable difference between the 2 materials is chip formation and sound.
The drilling op got a good deal louder in 304 but a single OSG .368" screw machine drill did not seem the worse for wear after 100+ parts.

Last edited:
Back