How To Grind A Hss Turning Tool

Timing is every thing. I need to learn to grind my own HSS bits. I need to find out how to grind a bit for cutting the recess in a medallion. SO how do you guys grind the tip to allow clearance when cutting the recess? Is the tip still centered on the diameter ?

are you talking about cutting a grove into the face of a part?

Hey Ron,
I'm not clear on how the tool will be applied to a medallion or what recess you're referring to. Can you post a pic of the project set up in the lathe? Then we might have more useful input for you.

Thanks

Hey Ron,
I'm not clear on how the tool will be applied to a medallion or what recess you're referring to. Can you post a pic of the project set up in the lathe? Then we might have more useful input for you.

Thanks

I think he is talking about a trepanning tool, but I'm not 100%.

Oh, okay. Thanks, Dan. By the way, my friend who was looking at CBN wheels said to tell you that you do really nice work. I agree!

Let's see if he posts a pic.

Oh, okay. Thanks, Dan. By the way, my friend who was looking at CBN wheels said to tell you that you do really nice work. I agree!

Let's see if he posts a pic.

Thanks man.

O and I knew this what out there some place. Keith Fenner making a trepanning tool.

IMG_1857.JPG The second from the left shows what I need to do. IT allows to either be etched or an insert glued in. Thanks

Typically, trepanning leaves a remnant in the center - not the case here. It would be easier to cut it with a knife tool by spotting the center with a spotting drill to the depth of the hole, then turning from the center to the rim. In brass, this would be a shallow roughing cut and a skim finishing cut. The tip of the tool would be on center and the side cutting edge would parallel the ways to produce a square shoulder.

A knife tool looks like this:

knife tool.jpg

Thank you. I now see what I was doing wrong. Not enough side clearance. The lower portion of the bit was hitting the side wall, leaving a chamfer.

Thank you. I now see what I was doing wrong. Not enough side clearance. The lower portion of the bit was hitting the side wall, leaving a chamfer.

Yup, hope it turns out okay. If not, come on back.

Back