How To Loosen Up A New Machine?

barnbwt

Registered
Registered
Like the title says; I got a new lathe, but the ways and everything else are still sporting their factory grinding marks and quite stiff when any pressure is supplied to the gibs --what to do about it? Is it as involved as having to endure thousands of operations of notchy, rough travel before it smoothes out, or can it be expedited? Abrasive, scraping, any other suggestions? The various handwheels are quite rough, presumably because the screws/nuts and rack/pinion need some polishing, and even sliding stuff across the ways (like the tailstock) there is quite a bit of stiction before motion is initiated. Is it better to focus on improving the gib or ways surfaces?

TCB

Clean the ways and lead screw well with solvent to remove the waxy preservative the factory uses. Then use lots of way oil (Mobil Vactra #2). Your gibs don't need to be "tight" tight, just enough to keep the saddle in place. If it is jerky, it is either too tight or not lubed well enough. Make sure your lead screw is clean and well oiled, and just run the carriage back and forth under power for awhile. I used kerosene and a brass brush to clean my lead screw.

GG

I don't recall what lathe you bought, but I suggest to most (depending on skill and comfort level) who buy Chinese tools to dissamble/clean/debur/stone various sliding surfaces as necessary to achieve the desired result. I would be careful of the bed ways, but I have taken the tailstock off and stoned/deburred it's underside mating surfaces. It makes a noticeable difference. Only once did I find it necessary to remove the saddle. GarageGuys point of cleaning and oiling everything is good advice. Oil it until it drips. One nice thing about Chinese ground surfaces is that they are rough enough that it takes very little time for them to wear just enough to 'break in'. I don't recommend dissembling for everyone, but I'm the kind of guy that takes apart brand new dial calipers so I can stone the interfacing surfaces smooth with a ceramic stone. :rolleyes:

I think I would take the machine apart and clean each piece in your favorite solvent and then lube it up well on reassembly. While it's apart, a file, some emery cloth, and a stone might be your friend to deburr the edges and knock off some high spots.

Just invite Darkzero over to your house and have him work his magic.

I agree with oiling it up and then just use it and let it take care of itself. Just too easy take too much off.
Like I read years ago in a book named "What Fits What" which is the best book I've read on older Harley's in his chapter on performance "Don't act like Jerry Branch unless you are Jerry Branch". Best advice I ever read just change the name to anyone on any subject.
Jerry Branch was and still might be the best in the world at doing headwork on a HD.

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the saddle off again and took a look for trouble spots; turns out I missed a tiny patch of paint on one of the way surfaces (there were a bunch of paint runs when I first check it out, and wire-brushed most of it off). Good thing they didn't use primer, a focused hit with the wire brush (hand brush, btw) and it came right off. Slightly smoother, now, at least for the bed ways. Tailstock's kinda funny; I can loosen up the clamp fully and it still sticks to the ways, like through suction or something, and I have to rock it a little onto its corners to break the seal, at which point is slides freely for a bit. Needs an air bearing like the big machines, lol.

I also ordered some way oil, it's apparently the mother's milk for tight machines. Guys with clapped out heaps can apparently get by with motor oil, but not the new ones. Gonna be opening up the gearbox it looks like, so I might as well have

Lastly, I found that removing the feed rod (it has concentricity issues) helps a tad, with the added benefit of not wobbling the cut as I use the compound and cross slide in lieu of power feed. Been using the compound so much, that it's starting to smoothen up a little, at least to where it is now consistent throughout its travel. Probably the best I can expect.

TCB

Back