How to make a hex on a rod end??? (noobie question)

Karl,

I doubt I'll buy them for this one job, but I am curious. How do you use those

Thanks,
Carl

lots of ways but clamp in the vice an rotate six times is most common.

I try to buy a tool with every job. That's how I "pay" myself. After 40 years, the shop is stuffed.

Karl

I would turn the part on the lathe and treat the hex as a separate part. Either find a ready made hex nut, or make your own from hex rod. Simply drill, tap and cut off, and thread the main part to recieve the nut and loctite it on.

Brian :)

Screw a hex nut onto the threads and mill the flats using that for a reference.

I use 5 c collet blocks for that purpose my set has four sided and six sided blocks there easy to use

Can anyone post a photo of a collet block in use? I see what they are and understand their use (conceptually) but would love to see them set up for cutting.

Thanks!
Carl

I use 5 c collet blocks for that purpose my set has four sided and six sided blocks there easy to use

Hey all - just reporting back. Mission accomplished do to the advice I received here. Thanks you all! The old part is on the left and the new on the right. The hex end has a threaded screw hole and the other end has a notch for a C clip. Also the new part was made out of steel vs. the brass original. In addition I turned a replacement plastic "brake" (not shown) and now the machine works like new. ...and the wife is thrilled. :)

~ Carl

photo%202_1.jpg

photo%201_1.jpg

photo%202_1.jpg

photo%201_1.jpg

Carl, it's great that you could use your hobby skills to help your wife in her professional work. I'm sure she appreciates it.
I'm always watching for ways that my tools can produce something of value to my wife. I like it a lot when she can get some benefit from my rather expensive tools. She is always impressed with the "magic" of making something valuable out metal.

Back