[How-To] How to make a saw blade washer

I think this will work.
b96ba2612f93095ac69e99060ded6dee.jpg

945e2e8b873339d84f0c5636cd229847.jpg

17a1050d36a8cde231f07d1f4b802b5c.jpg

15849375cdd997d2bc15c582cc076472.jpg

Nice job! It seems that these could be done in 1 operation, given that the bore and blade-side are the only precise surfaces. The nut side isn't only has to be 'more or less square'.

I'd give a little extra stick out, cut the blade side and drill the center hole. Then use the compound to cut the taper on the nut-side, then just part of the very end. You can flip it over and face that off if you want, but just breaking off the burr should be easy enough with a file.

Nice job! It seems that these could be done in 1 operation, given that the bore and blade-side are the only precise surfaces. The nut side isn't only has to be 'more or less square'.

I'd give a little extra stick out, cut the blade side and drill the center hole. Then use the compound to cut the taper on the nut-side, then just part of the very end. You can flip it over and face that off if you want, but just breaking off the burr should be easy enough with a file.
Thanks Erich, I'm keen to figure out an easier way as there's a few folks who want one.

I’m not sure I can picture how to cut the taper on the chuck side.

That part is easy, you just leave enough out of the chuck and around the middle to cut as an concave feature.

Thanks Erich, I'm keen to figure out an easier way as there's a few folks who want one.

I’m not sure I can picture how to cut the taper on the chuck side.

What you have on the finished washer looks like a 45° chamfer. To make that chamfer, on the chuck side, before parting off, this is what I would do. Finish all the blade-side features and the bore. For the sake of explanation let's say it's a .250" chamfer. Start the part-off, at finished washer thickness, but only go .250 deep. Set the compound to 45° and use turning tool to start the chamfer at the right (tailstock) side of the parting-off slot. move the compound away from the chuck and take another cut on the chamfer with the compound. Repeat until your turning tool gets down to the bottom of the partial part-off slot. Change back to the parting-off tool and finish the parting.

David, I started not to draw this since you have made the washer but you stated that you might make more. I have done some things like this in the past and I found that something in the sketch works real good. You will want the bottom mandrel since it is repeatable in a collet or 4 jaw.

Turn the washer and part off a tad thicker than finished size. Get the hole, face that touches the blade and recess all concentric. Leave the outside a little over size.

To make the reuse mandrel, turn down to a diameter that you like and face off. Must be concentric to shaft. I use a 3/4" stub shaft for 5C collets when possible. Flip the mandrel around and install in collet or 3 jaw chuck with face flat against jaws. Now turn outside to fit the recess. Turn down small shaft to fit hole in washer and a little longer and face flat. The face, shaft and OD all must be concentric to each other. The OD and face of this side of the mandrel becomes your reference point. If you use a collet, it should be OK. If you use a 4 jaw then you dial it in.

Press fit, glue, Locktite, tape the washer to the face of the mandrel. I try to make a tight fit and heat in a toaster oven a couple hundred degrees and press on with tail stock. You then take a light facing cut down by the shaft so the nut will sit flat against it.

Make a small hollow collar/tube to fit over the shaft and apply pressure to the washer with the tailstock. You are now pressure turning the OD and taper face to what ever you want with out fear of it flying off. lets say you want to make 6 of these. You first do all 6 washer part above and part off. Then dial in the mandrel and and stick them on one at a time.

Here is a drawing. Have a good laugh, but it was quick and dirty.

Attachments

• mandrel.pdf
    164.1 KB · Views: 12
David, I started not to draw this since you have made the washer but you stated that you might make more. I have done some things like this in the past and I found that something in the sketch works real good. You will want the bottom mandrel since it is repeatable in a collet or 4 jaw.

Turn the washer and part off a tad thicker than finished size. Get the hole, face that touches the blade and recess all concentric. Leave the outside a little over size.

To make the reuse mandrel, turn down to a diameter that you like and face off. Must be concentric to shaft. I use a 3/4" stub shaft for 5C collets when possible. Flip the mandrel around and install in collet or 3 jaw chuck with face flat against jaws. Now turn outside to fit the recess. Turn down small shaft to fit hole in washer and a little longer and face flat. The face, shaft and OD all must be concentric to each other. The OD and face of this side of the mandrel becomes your reference point. If you use a collet, it should be OK. If you use a 4 jaw then you dial it in.

Press fit, glue, Locktite, tape the washer to the face of the mandrel. I try to make a tight fit and heat in a toaster oven a couple hundred degrees and press on with tail stock. You then take a light facing cut down by the shaft so the nut will sit flat against it.

Make a small hollow collar/tube to fit over the shaft and apply pressure to the washer with the tailstock. You are now pressure turning the OD and taper face to what ever you want with out fear of it flying off. lets say you want to make 6 of these. You first do all 6 washer part above and part off. Then dial in the mandrel and and stick them on one at a time.

Here is a drawing. Have a good laugh, but it was quick and dirty.
Hey thanks for this! Very helpful. I discovered that a mandrel is necessary to do this easily and with any repeatability.

Back