[How-To] How to make a saw blade washer

I don't use a riving knife, could it be shimed over. They've been on my General saw so long the tape has probably been replaced a half dozen times lol.
The washer off any saw should work, do remember replacing mine a LONG time ago when it got over tightened.

Greg

I think the knife could be shimmed over as there's plenty of thread on the attachment point.
I'll check my local tool store and see if they carry any washers.

A different approach, 2 ways.

Drill hole first.

Does not need to be perfect but if you want perfect drill under then bore to size.

Since the saw blade side has a recessed area that comes next.

It is on the face so easy face work.

Next put a rod that fits in the hole in a chuck in tail stock, then place so rod is fully in the bored hole.

Paint the work with a marker, then make scribe marks for the edge at the side and the top of the taper.

Next, the fun part.

With a parting blade square to the work start to part close to chuck, with the blade on the chuck side of the scribe closest to the chuck (center of taper).

Remove a bad of material, do NOT part off the work, stop about 1/4 inch before you get to the hole.

Now set compound to match the angle of the taper.

Rotate the parting blade so it is in alignment with the compound.

Now part starting with the right side of parting blade at the right scribe (outside of taper).

Special note, if the width of the blade does not go into the previous cut move the carriage to where it does.

The last cut is at the scribe line and carefully feed it in until it parts.

All done in one operation, both sides.

Removing the burr and cleaning up does not need precision so the part can be gripped on the edge in a 3 jaw a ND sandpaper or file to clean up.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

making sure the faces are parallel.
I can think of a few ways to achieve this, or at least think I will when I dive in.
There is no other criteria that matters, if you ask me.

OMG, I was struggling to see how the thing in DavidR8’s picture was going to be used to wash the saw blade. Imagine my chagrin when I figured our it was indeed a saw blade washer.
See, I have been thinking I ought to make some kind of case thst I could actually
wash the blade in, but nothing hss come to me.
I’m open for ideas!

OMG, I was struggling to see how the thing in DavidR8’s picture was going to be used to wash the saw blade. Imagine my chagrin when I figured our it was indeed a saw blade washer.
See, I have been thinking I ought to make some kind of case thst I could actually
I’m open for ideas!

Ok that’s truly funny!
I have brought google to its knees trying to find one of these things. Saw blade washer is the only thing that returns anything even remotely close to what I want

@DavidR8

I'm a little late to the party.

I think I might make it as follows:
Put the stock in a your lathe chuck with about 3" stick-out.
Turn the OD and blade-side face/counterbore.
Drill and bore arbor hole to precision fit. My washer is a very close fit. When removing, if cocked at all, it binds. That's a good thing.
Part off at finished length.
Turn a spud on the stock with OD precision fit to washer ID.
Face the stock to mate with saw-side of washer (mounted on the spud).
Drill and tap the spud for 1/4-20 or 28 retaining screw.
Mount workpiece on spud and retain with a flat washer and a button head (hex socket) cap screw.
Turn conical feature to suit. If the flat washer gets in the way, cut it too.
Take some pictures of finished part and post them.

EDIT: Make 3 or 4 more and sell them on eBay for less than the competition. :grin:

If you could start with flat stock . Scribe the OD oversize and cut it it out on a band saw . Throw it up in the 3 jaw drill and ream the 5/8 bore and face undercut . Mount it on a spud . Finish OD and taper in one shot . The back edge will automaticaly run true against the spud . ( soory for the spelling errors , just finished up my week ) :)

Sap and resin get on woodworking blades, it does help (makes a cleaner cut) to clean 'em occasionally.
A half of a movie film can, with a solution of water, a few drops of detergent, and a gram of lye, does
the job for me. Brushing (toothbrush or hand brush) helps, and when it looks clean, flip the blade
and brush the other side. To dry, a few minutes in the oven is good. Application of paste wax is
useful.

Back