How to make this part

If you have a manual lathe with DRO then I would use a Seco MDT tool or equivalent and turn the whole thing in one hit with the same tool. Cut the bar into 20" lengths that will fit inside the lathe headstock withot protruding making 19 pieces per length. You should be able to hit under 4 mins per piece. Knock the sharp corners off before parting.

I think 2 or 3 seconds on a 120 year old screw machine is ridiculous.

Edit: Link to tool - https://www.secotools.com/article/676?language=en
I have a Z axis DRO. Which one of their tools would you choose? I've made parts with just a parting blade (light cuts) similar to the seco tool inserts and it has worked fairly well except the finish is sometimes not great.

Speed of screw machines is unreal , but set up is tedious at best and becoming a lost art. Not worth going this route for less than 10K parts.

Buy 100 1.250" sticks. You could use the same collet size for the whole operation. I think 7 min is very doable.
Same collet size? How? Wouldn't I need a 3/8, flip the part and then a 1/4" ?

Yeah, they're pretty quick. I worked for a shop that had a whole building full of B&S machines converted from leather belt. Obviously a bread-and-butter capability, one good machinist per shift ran the whole floor of ~24 machines. I just had to put that out there as a possibility.

You're correct. Don't know what I was thinking.
I'd still do all of one side then change collet and do the other.

I have a Z axis DRO. Which one of their tools would you choose? I've made parts with just a parting blade (light cuts) similar to the seco tool inserts and it has worked fairly well except the finish is sometimes not great.
I use a 3mm wide insert most of the time. When I spoke to the Seco Engineer he told me the trailing clearance was achieved by a small deflection of the blade when traversing, this helps with the finish.
I would not flip the part, machine the 0.250 diameter then the 0.370 nearer the chuck & part off.

Back