How to make this part?

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
My coffee machine has this dumb plastic ring that broke and apparently it’s on galactic back order (probably because it’s made of junky plastic and repeatedly exposed to 200° water). I want to make a new one and I was thinking of using stainless instead of plastic so I don’t have to worry about it breaking again. Problem is it is threaded and I can’t even measure it because it’s such a course thread and such a short distance that it only has one single thread. I’m thinking something like 4 tpi if it’s even standard. Any idea on how to definitively measure the tpi?

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpeg
    IMG_4313.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4311.jpeg
    IMG_4311.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 48
is it a double start thread? see if you can find multiple starting points.
other than a thread gauge no.
you could make a mating thread and see if it threads to know for sure.

With only one turn, it isn't very critical. Just give it your best shot and it will most likely work just fine.

Got a 3d printer? You could print a few different options, see what works best, and then make it out of metal. But I suspect all you options would work about the same. I agree with this:
With only one turn, it isn't very critical. Just give it your best shot and it will most likely work just fine.
You could get pretty close by measuring distance from one face to the thread flank and then again 180 degrees around. Get the difference between them and multiply by 2, that is your pitch. Inverse is the TPI. It won't be super accurate but probably "close enough."

I'd model that in Fusion and 3D print it before I spent way too much time machining it. I doubt the thread profile is even standard.

Does the piece it mates with have more threads you can more easily measure?

Or: If all you have is one single thread then maybe you can measure the tip-to-tip distance, instead of the root-to-root distance?

I would measure the distance from the lip to the thread and repeat the measurement 180º across. The difference will be half the thread pitch in inches/mm.

Since most things are made in china, it is likely a metric thread. As mentioned above, since it is only a single thread it will still work even if you are not even close in your measurements.

My coffee machine has this dumb plastic ring that broke and apparently it’s on galactic back order (probably because it’s made of junky plastic and repeatedly exposed to 200° water). I want to make a new one and I was thinking of using stainless instead of plastic so I don’t have to worry about it breaking again. Problem is it is threaded and I can’t even measure it because it’s such a course thread and such a short distance that it only has one single thread. I’m thinking something like 4 tpi if it’s even standard. Any idea on how to definitively measure the tpi?
Chuck it up in the lathe and use a DTI to check a fractional rotation of the lead.

is it a double start thread? see if you can find multiple starting points.
other than a thread gauge no.
you could make a mating thread and see if it threads to know for sure.
No its single start. I thought about making a quick ring out of aluminum or something to check. Thanks for the reply.
I was wondering about that. Good to know.
Got a 3d printer? You could print a few different options, see what works best, and then make it out of metal. But I suspect all you options would work about the same. I agree with this:

You could get pretty close by measuring distance from one face to the thread flank and then again 180 degrees around. Get the difference between them and multiply by 2, that is your pitch. Inverse is the TPI. It won't be super accurate but probably "close enough."
I do have a 3d printer, but my Fusion 360 skills arent that advanced yet to make something with threads and what not. Thank you for that little formula. Thats what I was hoping for when I made this thread.
I'd model that in Fusion and 3D print it before I spent way too much time machining it. I doubt the thread profile is even standard.
See above about my fusion 360 "skills"

Does the piece it mates with have more threads you can more easily measure?

Or: If all you have is one single thread then maybe you can measure the tip-to-tip distance, instead of the root-to-root distance?
It also has one turn ugh lol tried that already.
I would measure the distance from the lip to the thread and repeat the measurement 180º across. The difference will be half the thread pitch in inches/mm.
Thank you!!
Since most things are made in china, it is likely a metric thread. As mentioned above, since it is only a single thread it will still work even if you are not even close in your measurements.
I was wondering about that which if it were more than one thread I would be dead in the water since my lathe only cuts standard threads.
Chuck it up in the lathe and use a DTI to check a fractional rotation of the lead.
Id be lying if I said I knew how to do that lol. Im just a hobbyist/beginner.

Thank you guys all for the advice. This forum never disappoints! Do we think stainless is a good material to make this out of?

Back