How to measure/replicate an internal taper?

I went to the steel store yesterday and picked up some 1" aluminum round stock. This is what I came up with:

20240213_004824.jpg
I made a final scratch pass with the face mill using a fast feed rate which left me with a pleasing cross hatch for a bit of gripping traction when the fence is bolted against the flats.

This is a small chunk of the extrusion I will be using as the fence. The fence extrusion is currently 8' long and will need to be cut down.
20240213_004940.jpg

I hit the diameter quite well, minimal movements n the pegs when they are in the holes. One of the pegs I went just a hair too small. Some dimples with a center punch tightened it up nicely.
20240213_004945.jpg

Now I just have to cut down the long extrusion I have to a good length and mount it to the pegs with some T nuts. As shown in the picture I wasn't even thinking about the height of the pegs and ended up making them a little long. I will cut them down to just under the top of the extrusion.

If I end up with any play in the pegs/fence I will probably thread the bottom of the pegs so I can bolt them down tight to the table from underneath.

My machining skills are still very beginner. It took me 6 hours to get everything dialed in and the pegs cut... I am sure a pro could have accomplished the same task in a half hour.

Last edited:
Back