How to Remove this Hole Cutter

oskar

Registered
Registered
Have this Bosch battery hand drill for about 8 years, a wonderful tool, never had any problems. Today I was cutting some 22mm holes in aluminum which I have done before but at the end looks kind of impossible to remove the 22mm hole cutter. Any ideas what to do to get the cutter out?

Did the work in the morning and thought perhaps after it get cool I may be able to remove the cutter but in the afternoon I try again with no success. Did 2 more holes and try again, no luck.

Thanks
BOSCH Drill.jpg

Nicolas

What's the issue? What am I not seeing?

Can't you just release the chuck?

If you are saying that the tool is stuck in the chuck, try grabbing the shank of the tool with some pliers, put the drill motor into reverse and try several start-stop operations. This may jar the chuck loose. You might have to alternate between forward and reverse to "shock" it.

Alternatively, clamp some vise-grip type pliers onto the shank and tap the end of the pliers with a hammer. First one way, then the other while attempting to "unloosen" (Joe Pie speak) the chuck.

Another trick might be to tap the end of the tool with a soft faced hammer. The lateral shock might jar it loose. I find this most effective with collet type chucks such as in my rotary tools.

Right, just can't release the chuck

Very good points you got there piper184 which I never thought myself. I just gave them a try with no luck but tomorrow I will try again.

Many thanks

Basic rule of self-tightening chucks: Do not chuck anything larger in diameter than the chuck capacity, no S&D drills, no hole saws, etc.

If you're lucky, you just get something stuck and have a hell of a time getting it loose. Not so lucky, you split the the chuck housing.

1714799991874.png

While it is good accurate advice regarding self tightening keyless chucks not to use accessories larger than the chuck's capacity, keyless chucks on handheld drills are not self tightening. Generally they won't suffer the same consequences.

Sorry to say & hopefully I'm wrong but I suspect that keyless chuck has failed (something broken internally). It should not lock up like that but again hopefully I'm wrong & it just very tight. Often the ratcheting mechanism fails but judging by the look & age of that drill, I don't think that chuck has the ratcheting feature.

My older Milwaukee started locking up some time ago. A pair of water pump pliers release it.

Greg

Happened to me many times, especially when the chucks get older. As Greg said, pliers or a pipe wrench works. I wrap a rag around the chuck so it doesn't get too chewed up.

How is it stuck? Can you not unscrew the collar, or can you unscrew the collar but the tool won't release?

If the collar won't unscrew, it's probably just getting older, and (respectfully) applying some leverage (channel locks) may well be the best option. Not ideal, not good for the chuck, but if you're careful it won't tear up anything too much.

If the collar is unscrewed (even a little) but it won't let go, because that's old enough (I think, 99 percent sure) that it's NOT the new "self locking" type with the click and the free play built in, take it as loose as it will go, put a punch inside of the cutter, so it's pushing on where the shank is, and tap it with a hammer, effectively driving the shank into the chuck, as that's the way the jaws slide to loosen, that'll get you headed in the right direction.

Back