How to save or Book Mark Topics

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys like machining and computers I fall off the cliff.Over time there such good topics that I would like to save or just go back to as a reference such as "Black Oxide Coating" which RayC and others posted such good answers that I would like to look up at later dates and just refresh my poor memory.Another is making a ball turner,again its on my bucket list of things I want to do so I would like to save my post that I receive such good responces.
If there is a way other than just adding to my favorites list which is already an arms length could someone walk me through the process?I'm not a computer person so I may/may not know the computer lingo.It may be that this is not possible here but if there is,I sure would like to know how,cause my list is getting longer.Thanks guys----kroll

Guys like machining and computers I fall off the cliff.Over time there such good topics that I would like to save or just go back to as a reference such as "Black Oxide Coating" which RayC and others posted such good answers that I would like to look up at later dates and just refresh my poor memory.Another is making a ball turner,again its on my bucket list of things I want to do so I would like to save my post that I receive such good responces.
If there is a way other than just adding to my favorites list which is already an arms length could someone walk me through the process?I'm not a computer person so I may/may not know the computer lingo.It may be that this is not possible here but if there is,I sure would like to know how,cause my list is getting longer.Thanks guys----kroll
One way. Right click on address bar and copy it. Save this address in a file dedicated to projects and stuff.
This works as long as the site exists. Sites do go out of existance from time to time. If it is very important, copy all the posts and save them or even print them.

I copy and paste the important parts into a Word document and save it. Any word processor program will work, even notepad or wordpad.

Chuck

I right click on the page, look for Print. Usually one of the listed printers is Save to Pdf. Give it some meaningful name if the default name doesn't make sense.

Gerrit

It depends somewhat on which browser you use; I use Firefox and it may make the scheme I use easier than some other browsers. The favorites list (which you already use) is the natural way to save, organize, and reaccess URL's you'd like to be able to return to. Your favorites list has become awkwardly long but you didn't say whether you use folders in your favorites list. Folders and sub-folders allow the favorites list to hold a very large number of URL's yet you can have only a limited number of URL's showing and you can select which folder(s) are expanded.

For example, you could have a "Machining" folder containing "Projects" and "Techniques" etc. sub-folders. Put "Black Oxide Coating" in Techniques and "Ball Turner" in Projects. Close the Machining folder and the whole thing takes one line in favorites. Adding another project URL that you're looking at requires dragging the item from Firefox's address line down to the Machining folder, hovering over it for a couple seconds until it expands to show the sub-folders, drag to the Projects sub-folder and drop the new URL there. You can click on Projects to expand that sub-folder and drag the individual items around into any order desired. Right click an item in favorites, click "Properties" and you can add notes about that item. Click on the "Machining" folder and it all folds back up to one line in favorites.

Firefox allows searching favorites in case you can't remember where you saved something. Plus there are add-ons that allow you to open the Parent folder holding an item you searched for. For example, if you search for ball it would find the Ball Turner (assuming ball was in its title) and right clicking it and selecting "Go Parent" would open your "Projects" sub-folder (assuming the above setup) where you would see the Ball Turner and any other saved project URL's.

I expect other browsers have similar capabilities so consider trying folders as a way to organize your favorites list to control the amount of it that is showing. It will take some practice to get accustomed to using the additional features but you're already using favorites extensively so it shouldn't be a huge change for you.

John

You can go up to "Thread Tools" and "Show Printable Version" or "Subscribe to this Thread"

In Google Chrome, you go to the commands icon on the far right then go to Bookmarks, then "Bookmark this Page"

Thanks for the suggestion,I gave it a try and it work.----kroll

If you want to save the thread in its entirety, (pics, links, etc)

Click on File.
Click on Save page as or Save as depending on your browser.
Give it any name you prefer.
Save as Web Page Complete.
You'll end up with one file and one folder. They must be kept together. In fact if you delete one the other will also be deleted.
Put them any place you like.

Gene

When I have to save whole pages I export them to PDF format, to get rid of scripts and other things.
Also, in this way I have a single file to archive, which makes things easier.

Back