How to ship heavy items that won't fit flat rate boxes ?

Bolted to a sheet of plywood. Heavy duty plastic crate (I got mine at Home Depot).

Cardboard around the sides, pack very tight with wadded newspaper/foam/etc. Zipties to seal.

This is how I shipped racing kart engines and I didn’t have any issues. They might charge extra for the plastic container, but lacking a super strong 3 or 4 ply cardboard box this is the best way. They use these crates for heavy car parts and they are up to the task.

John

Old Dominion Freight. If your buyer can pick up at a depot and you drop off at a depot. Will be pretty reasonable. They have around 200 depots across the US.
Have it in a plywood crate.

Old Dominion Freight. If your buyer can pick up at a depot and you drop off at a depot. Will be pretty reasonable. They have around 200 depots across the US.
Have it in a plywood crate.

And Forward Air.

UPS has a flat rate shipping option that might be suitable, pretty reasonable money too

Both UPS and FedEx ground shipping are fairly reasonable for stuff in this range. No real reason to use freight carriers.

One important thing to know is if the box you ship in doesn’t have an ASTM rating equal to or greater than your item any claim will be denied outright.

I learned this lesson reusing shipping boxes from China.

I never had any problems with the heavy duty plastic ones linked above. They are easy to handle and reusable.

John

You're retired Dave. Just drive it to the buyer. :)
I've have done that many times in the past . I also have drop off services anywhere between here and New York ! :grin: Met quite a few members here on the road .

Back