How to shut up complainers

For me, as I am still self employed, it boils down to ROI.

Sometimes the ROI may take many years, like maybe ten years, but coupled with the depreciation write offs each year, and the difference between book - write off value, against the true worth value if I had to replace, it's a no brainer.

Two purchases last year have had an enormous impact, namely a new replacement inverter pulse Tig, as well as my new mill. Both machines may sit idle for days, then all of a sudden, they are workhorses for days on end. Hard to quantify real benefit and worth, but in my game, it's simply a matter of being able to tackle jobs that others can't, or don't want to.

Yes, I could be accused of buying work, but after a few years, I have learnt new skills, as well as having new machines, which are paid for, and owe me nothing, on the floor, ready for the next job.

Some machines I have bought, are real lemons, but I keep them, as it adds to my arsenal. Other machines were well... cheap, and have made an enormous impact on my capabilities. No amount of crystal ball gazing can prepare me for what quality to buy, unless it is machines and tools I am VERY familiar with.

I work for the Sign Writing Industries, supplying Adelaide, in South Australia, with their needs and products, and I am seeing really expensive technology the boys have invested in, become redundant after five years, yet my machines are STILL current after twenty five years!

Still, I wouldn't mind having one of those real flash reels... I'm sure I could rig it up in the shop to do something really fantastic! Yes, I too, buy, then try to justify a need for the item...

Cheers

Ian

Some years back a I was telling a friend that I was looking for a new table saw. Now this guy was an avid golfer. So anyway we were talking and he asked what do I need a new table saw for? What is wrong with the old one? Will it make you a better wood worker. I answered, for the same reason you buy new golf clubs every year. I then asked if he was a scratch player or still an 11 handicap? He instantly shut up and then after a minute or so said, a point well taken.

Paul

We were so poor we used to live in a hole in the road.....

Cheers Phil

Back