How To Start Die Cut Threads Square To Rod

psween

Registered
Registered
I need to cut 10-32 threads on some 3/16 stainless rods. I need to thread 5/8" of length on each end, rods vary between 40" and 43" long. I no longer have access to a lathe, and not sure I want to try single pointing 10-32 threads anyway. The problem is getting the die started coaxial to the rod. I've done a couple of tests, and the first 1/4" of threads looks square, but by the time I get to the full length I need I can see misalignment and flat tops on the threads on one side. Any old machinist tricks I'm missing for starting a small die square and keeping it that way for some length? Thanks!

Patrick

I have never figured out how to do that. Hopefully someone will have a good answer. If I need straight threads I single point them.

biggest issue is keeping the die straight. Chucking it up in your lathe and using the tailstock to put pressure on the die holder would help. Making sure you have a sharp good quality die and reversing it occasionally to break chips and clear them out might help too.

biggest issue is keeping the die straight. Chucking it up in your lathe and using the tailstock to put pressure on the die holder would help. Making sure you have a sharp good quality die and reversing it occasionally to break chips and clear them out might help too.

I remember a die holder that had a variable alignment mechanism on the side opposite of the die pocket that acted like a 3 jaw chuck. You would dial it down to fit the rod, insert the die facing the opposite side & produce the threads. The "chuck" guide was lockable. Worked well but that was so long ago I wasn't aware of thread quality standards so I can only assume that the threads were kept straight.

I have one of them They are a joke. With out access to a lathe it is going to be a pain. And stainless is a pain to thread with a die anyway.

If you have a pillar drill and it's square, you can put the rod in the drill chuck, die and holder on the table, rotate THE DIE, not the rod - a bit redneck, but it sort of works in a real pinch. A lathe's better though! As for the 40" lengths, it would need to be a BIG drill...

Can't you buy threaded rod the size you need?

Dave H, (the other one)

I have one of them They are a joke. With out access to a lathe it is going to be a pain. And stainless is a pain to thread with a die anyway.

I sort of expected that. I've never had or used one of those things.

I would use a tailstock die holder and put it in the drill press, with the rod passing through the jaws of the vise and center hole in the drill press table. Unpowered, of course.

Back