How To Store And Organize A Centillion Drill Bits

It sounds like you want an inexpensive solution...empty soup cans, one for each size? Stand them up or lay them in a box or drawer? Obviously bigger cans for bigger sizes, etc.

Another option is pizza boxes. You can fairly quickly sort out a tonne of drills but laying them on a flat surface and putting like beside likel Almost all the used bits I have need sharpening so I've stashed them in pizza boxes until I need that size. After sorting them, I put some masking tape in the pizza boxes--sticky side up. Then laid the drills on the tape so they wouldn't get mixed up when I moved the box.

Of course, that pretty much only works for 'jobber length' bits in fractional sizes. Then there are stubby bits and extra long bits. Letter bits; Number bits, Metric bits. And what to do with the Morse taper shanked bits and other non-straight tangs? Let alone woodworking bits, concrete bits, tile bits, ...

Craig

Here's my zero-dollar option (except for a little paint and the labels). Each bit has a color dot on the end so I can quickly tell which size it is since the factory numbers have been long-ago scoured off the shank. When it needs to be sharpened, it goes back in upside down.IMG_3650.JPG

Man, those hoyte index drawers would set my OCD off! Empty compartment? Only one drill in a compartment made for 30? That would be one expensive endeavor... number, letter, fractional and metric by the 0.1mm. Yikes, I get the ebeejeebeis just at the thought. :p

Last edited:
Man, those hoyte index drawers would set my OCD off! Empty compartment? Only one drill in a compartment made for 30? That would be one expensive endeavor... number, letter, fractional and metric by the 0.1mm. Yikes, I get the ebeejeebeis just at the thought. :p
OCD, I'm with you on that, it can be a pain in the you know what sometimes..kinda growing out of it since I fell 20 ft on my head..
But as far as others are concerned I always have been a little odd.:laughing:
or are they odd...???

@NC Rick , Its not all that bad, As you get into the bigger sizes the compartment might only hold 6 drills not 30......

When I buy drills I get a standard pack at a time of only quality bits, The small sizes that is 12 drills and as they get bigger it goes down to 6 or even 4. So not as bad as you thought.

I do have the Huot 13175 Master drill index. Mine came almost fully stocked with as many as 50 of some of the small sizes and there was about a dozen empty slots, I got it as part of a pallet of random tooling that I bought for $1k from a plant that was getting rid of the machine shop, to switch to all outsourcing of machined parts. I figured that cabinet paid for the pallet and the rest of the stuff was free.

NC Rick, is it that obvious when you own these about the OCD? And yes I know what you mean about the empty slots.
I was just doing an inventory on the lot of 80 morse taper bits I just bought and yes there is still a couple sizes I'm missing.

Joe

20201007_185521.jpg20201007_185455.jpg

I went to vertical drill organizers: inch, metric, letter, number, and a custom one that takes S&D by 1/64". That one is about half full... the others I replace drills when I destroy one.
The big folding three way one was just too irritating over the years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Penn Tools has a three cabinet Hoyt set for $288 which includes the 1/6"-1/2" in 64th cabinet, 1-60 Numbered cabinet and the A-Z Letter cabinet.

Back