How to thread stainless

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
Just got a pm 1236, bought the master turning and boring set. Definitely doesn’t have everything I thought it would. I work in stainless and need to turn threads, I was wondering if anyone can make reasonably priced shank and inserts for stainless thread turning as well as some good cutters for removing lots of material you recommend.

As you are learning, stainless is a tricky material to work with. Also the specific grade of stainless really makes a difference in your experience (e.g. 316 is MUCH worse to machine than 440).

Sharp tooling is your friend when it comes to stainless. Some general purpose inserts are too blunted (intentionally) to form a nice chip without tearing in SS. Try some HSS, or select material specific inserts for SS. I have even used aluminum specific inserts to machine stainless due to their very sharp edge (the tool life is not great, but was fine for my needs).

A 12x36 should give you enough rigidity to take a healthy cut, but you probably won't be ripping through material like Abom79. I'd start with perhaps a general purpose CCMT insert for roughing, then a CCGT or HSS for finishing. Try HSS for threading too. There are extra sharp carbide threading inserts out there if you know what to look for. Play with the spindle speed and feedrate setting on the gearbox to dial in a cut you can keep the machine running all day. Then adjust your depth of cut as necessary to keep the spindle nicely loaded during roughing. Coolant is recommended. I personally like a squirt bottle full of synthetic coolant (mostly water) used in CNC machining centers rather than oil (no smoke).

You may also want to practice on a more forgiving material before jumping into stainless (6061 aluminum, 12L14, 41L40, 4140)

Let us know how you do, what works.
I've never tried to single point stainless.

I tried hss and it shatters no matter feed/speed, or depth of cut. Unfortunately I can only get 304 here when choosing ss. The parts I make have to be stainless. I have to turn so much material only because I can’t thread yet with the stainless. I have made several parts successfully. I don’t practice on easier material because I know I can do the easier materials, but also I don’t have a use for them. I have trouble grinding hss angles for tools.

isnt the ccgt inserts for brass and aluminum?

304 SS is tough one to start with.... It work hardens just looking at it. If you need to stay in the 300 series SS, 303 is easier to machine with very similar specs as 304. If you are stuck with 304, my experience is you have to cut deep and fast to cut through and prevent work hardening. Shallow cuts at slow speeds, ends up more "rubbing" the SS and causing it to work harden and destroy tooling.

I have cut literally (multiple) hundreds (maybe thousands?) of pounds of stainless in manufacturing products for the wine industry, I used all 303 stainless for the products requiring stainless, I used TPG inserts for all turning and boring in an appropriate grade for non ferrous metals, for threading I used Aloris threading tools in HSS, or Geometric automatic dies with HSS chasers.

This forum is awesome. I will try to get some 303. I will try all of the above inserts as well. Let you know soon.

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper shank and threading insert that they like for stainless?

Back