How to use a traveling steady?

I have done a couple long threading projects, using a follower rest for support. I found it devilishly tricky. I think this is another one of those machining activities which appears so straight forward, but really benefits from practice & mistakes.

The rest can be on either side, depending on the job at hand (between the compound slide and the tool post you should be able to get the tool to where it needs to be). I've just used the FR for the finishing passes and the final threading passes. For straight forward metal removal there were other options (on the project I was working on) - advance the work out of the chuck in steps, accept some tool push. Sometimes backing off the tailstock (once the rest is in play helps).

DSCF5928.JPG DSCF5934.JPG

I have done a couple long threading projects, using a follower rest for support. I found it devilishly tricky. I think this is another one of those machining activities which appears so straight forward, but really benefits from practice & mistakes.

The rest can be on either side, depending on the job at hand (between the compound slide and the tool post you should be able to get the tool to where it needs to be). I've just used the FR for the finishing passes and the final threading passes. For straight forward metal removal there were other options (on the project I was working on) - advance the work out of the chuck in steps, accept some tool push. Sometimes backing off the tailstock (once the rest is in play helps).

View attachment 139294 View attachment 139296

Chipper, I'm intrigued by the unusual design of the follow steady I've never seen that style of fingers before.

Chipper, I'm intrigued by the unusual design of the follow steady I've never seen that style of fingers before.

Well, that is Smart & Brown for you. I believe the "fingers", or follower plate to be original, and has see very little use. You can flip it either way, the round side appears to have been machined to a given size for some job in the past. The square side was untouched (I put the first wear marks in it). I suspect the plate would have been an easy shop replaceable item and would have been modified as required for what ever task. I am not sure where to source another piece of bronze plate, but as is - it will last me a very long time.

Some one posted a project for a follow rest made to mount at the threaded hole on the side of a QCTP.

Back