How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe

What ever you do, do not hold the end of the wire with your fingers if you are using it till the end...it will spin and slice you open

What everybody else said. You learn something new every day, Thank you, great video.

What ever you do, do not hold the end of the wire with your fingers if you are using it till the end...it will spin and slice you open

There's no spinning with this set-up. You could hold it with your teeth if you wanted. :anyone:

A pair of pliers is best anyway, just to keep your hands at a safe distance from the wire.

Tom

I completed my version of Tom's tools today. I made 2 mandrels and made some springs from some .023 uknownium wire as a test. Worked like a champ. I don't have a need for a particular spring at the moment, but am confident I could make what ever I need. I have posted pictures of the guide, the mandrel, and a couple videos of making the test springs here:

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/Spring making tools

Thanks again, Tom!

Noticed the word is spreading on your video on several other forums!

Edit: Forgot to add, I am still researching the various formulae and methods of desiging springs to put into a spreadsheet. I will post what I come up with here. I have found several design calculators online, but I would prefer to develope my own to reinforce understanding what goes into making a spring and what variables effect what properties.

Chuck

Thanks for posting the pics Chuck, it's good to see someone get some use out of these videos. That's what makes doing them worthwhile.

I'll have to check and see where the traffic is coming from. It's fun to see how these things get around.

Tom

Tom, I can see that there is almost 12 minutes of video. I'm almost sure that you have way more than 12 minutes of your time invested in this video. Thank you for this information & thank you for the time that you have invested for the benefit of other home machinist. I still find myself from time to time referring back to the drill sharpening/ grinding video that you made. Thank you again.
Phil

Thanks Phil.

The original video only took an hour or so to make, but the close-up sucked so I went back and re-shot it and edited into the original. I probably have three hours invested overall. Next up will be a single point threading video. I know there are lots of them out there, but I'm contrary and do it a bit differently. :p

Tom

I'm working on a spreadsheet for spring making. So far, I have found formulas for calculating what lead screw tpi you need to set the lathe to (as in screw thread cutting), determining suggested mandrel diameter, and estimating the length of wire needed. These formulas are based on knowing the diameter of the wire used, the desired outside diameter, and the number of active coils needed. What other info would be needed? Do you have any other pertinent calculations I can add?
There are many websites dealing with spring making but they usually provide calculators or very intense calculations that don't mean much. I have learned a lot, but I'm not there yet.

Chuck

Chuck,

I neglected to mention that there is a link to a spring making web site in the description of the video. It doesn't show up on embedded videos like the one here, you have to go to the video on You Tube to see it. Anyway, it should have everything you need:

How to Make Springs

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I found that site and have been studying it.

Chuck

Back