How to zero Mitutoyo 505-626 caliper

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
My Mitutoyo 505-626 calipers are not zeroed. Is structions say there is a small hole on the underside of the dial and the process is to insert a small pin to release the gear from the rack. I have tried various sizes of pins, none work.
Is there another method? Am I missing something obvious?
Thank you,
Dan mit_cal.jpg

Generally there is a special tool that is used to zero dial calipers, I have had Mit. calipers, but it was not a pin but a thin piece of bronze that slid in from the left and interfered with the rack pinion and made it skip to a new clocking, or just get used to the needle not being at 12 o'clock.

I have cut a thin narrow strip of shim stock to change the zero reading. About 1 1/2 long and about .125 wide and about .005 thick.
You slide it under where the pinion is and adjust till you get it where you want it.
Years ago some makers would include this shim tool with a new caliper.

Jimsehr
If needed I will send you a pic of how to do it. Jimatcf@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Strange , I have a pin for mine also . :confused:

I have cut a thin narrow strip of shim stock to change the zero reading. About 1 1/2 long and about .187 wide and about .005 thick.
You slide it under where the pinion is and adjust till you get it where you want it.
Years ago some makers would include this shim tool with a new caliper.

Jimsehr
If needed I will send you a pic of how to do it. Jimatcf@hotmail.com
Can you just post here for everyone?

505-628s which are 12" . Mine always seem to jump .020 on the dial which is a total PITA ! . I use my beams with no issues . :grin: I do have verniers that have the flat brass or bronze shim stock also , but the Mits were supplied with this pin .

Attachments

• IMG_8818.JPG
    IMG_8818.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8819.JPG
    IMG_8819.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8820.JPG
    IMG_8820.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8822.JPG
    IMG_8822.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8821.JPG
    IMG_8821.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8823.JPG
    IMG_8823.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
Maybe there is more than one way to do it. Or different caliper different way to do it?
Jimsehr
Personally , I hate these dial verniers and always return to my beams . I bought these back in my apprenticeship years in the late 70s and they were used very sparingly .

Personally , I hate these dial verniers and always return to my beams . I bought these back in my apprenticeship years in the late 70s and they were used very sparingly .
Dave, what do you mean beams? Are you talking a regular Vernier scale?

I went to you tube and there is a video of how to reset dial using a pin.
So there is more than one way to reset dial.
Jimsehr

Back