How would one make a bezel for a touch display?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to make or buy a bezel to fit a 320 x 240 3.2" diagonal LCD display. Haven't been successful in the search to buy, so was thinking of attempting to machine one. This will be the display for my electronic lead screw controller. I need to keep any chips out of the electronics, so need to cover up the opening in the chassis. One obvious thing would be to 3d print one. That would work if I had one, but I don't have one right now. (Also don't want to spend $400-$1000 on one and spend two months getting a first good print.) So I guess I will have to machine one.
topisometric.jpgunderside.jpg
topview.jpgsideview.jpg
I am presuming some sort of black plastic, although I am open to suggestions. What might be suitable? How do you hold down plastic to mill it without it squirming all over the place? It has 4mm top thickness, extends below the display surface about 4mm and the bottom surround ring is about 4mm thick. How can I get the square inside corners for the display? I put in mouse holes in the inside corners, of the bottom, but those aren't visible. Just file out the rounded corners? I will probably bevel the edges, especially by the display to allow a finger to get close to the edges or corners. Haven't figured out the fasteners just yet. Probably going to be a plastic or metal box of some sort that the bezel and display will fit into. For reference, the LCD display measures 55 x 78 x 5mm.

I can see I need some minor changes to account for the pins and the fasteners for the display board as well. Need to relieve part of the bezel to avoid interference, Or just make it shorter. Worst case, I can swipe it with a mill in those areas.

Any tips on doing something like this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• partialassy.jpg
    partialassy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
  • displaybezel.FCStd
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
Another option is using wood and a router like you would make a picture frame. Back to the plastic version, if you use Acetal (Delrin) sheet stock it might be kind of expensive but would machine like a dream and should be easy to clamp. Save cutting the empty inside for last so you can use that space for a couple of clamping bolts. Another option would be to use Acrylic and make it in four sides like a picture frame and then glue/bond the pieces together. Harder to machine Acrylic but still doable.

Problem is he doesn't have a printer.
Hope to change that some time, but at the moment don't want to invest the time or money in it. The chances of me getting a nice print for this (as a rank beginner) are low. 3D printing is yet another rabbit hole to fall into! Machining is deep enough.

I did try having a friend print a bracket for me from an stl file I created. It didn't come out remotely close enough. So apparently there is a bit of fiddling necessary to get the prints on size, and knowledge of the "design rules" for a good outcome. I don't know those rules. stl files stink as a medium as they are difficult to edit. CAD files require you have the type of program that can import them successfully. Took a few iterations to realize a printed bracket wouldn't be functional, but at least it gave me a better idea what to machine.

Problem is he doesn't have a printer.
Hope to change that some time, but at the moment don't want to invest the time or money in it. The chances of me getting a nice print for this (as a rank beginner) are low. 3D printing is yet another rabbit hole to fall into! Machining is deep enough.

I did try having a friend print a bracket for me from an stl file I created. It didn't come out remotely close enough. So apparently there is a bit of fiddling necessary to get the prints on size, and knowledge of the "design rules" for a good outcome. I don't know those rules. stl files stink as a medium as they are difficult to edit. CAD files require you have the type of program that can import them successfully. Took a few iterations to realize a printed bracket wouldn't be functional, but at least it gave me a better idea what to machine.
Just about every public library in the US has free access to 3D printers. Not to mention maker spaces at many community colleges. There are so many ways to get access to 3D printers, that shouldn't be a reason to not try. I have a small-ish printer myself and found it pretty easy to use.

My son has built his own by printing the parts with another of his printers and buying a hardware kit for the rest. The thing is a monster. He's adding a multiple filament capability to it now, where he can swap colors or material from within the g-code for the print.

If you want to send me the STL file, I am sure I can get him to print it in ABS. If this was drawn in Fusion 360, I'd take the original file so I can generate my own STL.

Another option is using wood and a router like you would make a picture frame. Back to the plastic version, if you use Acetal (Delrin) sheet stock it might be kind of expensive but would machine like a dream and should be easy to clamp. Save cutting the empty inside for last so you can use that space for a couple of clamping bolts. Another option would be to use Acrylic and make it in four sides like a picture frame and then glue/bond the pieces together. Harder to machine Acrylic but still doable.
Interesting ideas. Delrin machines nice, but is a bit pricey. About $13/foot for 3/8"x3" stock (white only). ABS is about $7/foot. Is ABS machinable? According to McMaster it is 85% of acetal. That isn't too bad.

Hadn't thought of wood. It would work with a nice tight grained clear wood.

How about Garolite XX? $9.77 for a 6"x6"x3/8 piece. Available in black. Phenolic and paper. Garolite LE supposedly is better to machine but it is $23 for a 6x6x3/8 piece. Phenolic and linen.

Don't want to make picture frames. Sad to say, not in my skill set.

Just about every public library in the US has free access to 3D printers. Not to mention maker spaces at many community colleges. There are so many ways to get access to 3D printers, that shouldn't be a reason to not try. I have a small-ish printer myself and found it pretty easy to use.

My son has built his own by printing the parts with another of his printers and buying a hardware kit for the rest. The thing is a monster. He's adding a multiple filament capability to it now, where he can swap colors or material from within the g-code for the print.

If you want to send me the STL file, I am sure I can get him to print it in ABS. If this was drawn in Fusion 360, I'd take the original file so I can generate my own STL.
It's the iteration that's a pain. If your printer is calibrated to be on scale, I suppose it's worth a try. My last try at printing via a friend wasn't that helpful.

Can't do Fusion360 as there is no Linux version available. Seems to be AutoCAD's choice. I would have downloaded it.

Doesn't appear that I can export to a native Fusion360 file type. However, I can export to step as well as stl. Attached is the step file and an stl file. Can you import the step file into Fusion360? Hopefully I exported the Bezel body correctly. I can open both of the files in FreeCAD.

Attachments

• displaybezel-PartBezelBody.step
    108.4 KB · Views: 4
  • displaybezel-PartBezelBody.stl
    102 KB · Views: 1
I was able to open step file in Fusion so sending this to one of our printers is no problem.

Color preference? He has grey and teal right now but is ordering some new colors to be delivered tomorrow. Shoot me an email or a DM with your name and address and I'll get it printed and mailed out this weekend.

greg@mylilmule.us

I was able to open step file in Fusion so sending this to one of our printers is no problem.

Color preference? He has grey and teal right now but is ordering some new colors to be delivered tomorrow. Shoot me an email or a DM with your name and address and I'll get it printed and mailed out this weekend.

greg@mylilmule.us
Grey or black. Black is my preference. Will contact you via DM.

Back