How would you cut this?

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I went to the metal place yesterday hoping to find some remnants of 2.5" X 1.5" aluminum bar stock.
I need to make a couple spacers for connecting a stepper to a ballscrew shaft.
They didn't have any.

I have a few blocks of aluminum that are much bigger but too small to put into the miter saw. The blocks are big enough that I can get 4x of the size I need out of each block. They're 5.25 x 4 x 1.25

My scroll saw is what I'd normally use but it's buried in it's winter hidey spot. I don't have a band saw, table saw, radial arm saw.

How would you cut these blocks into 4 pieces?

I'm tempted to just segment them with a mill bit. I have to mill them afterwards anyhow.

Why can't you fit the 5.25" x 4" x 1.25" block in the miter saw with the long edge down on the saw horizontal surface?
Most miter saws can easily fit 4x4 dimensional lumber, which is 3.5" x 3.5"

Use a c-clamp on either side of the blade to hold the block against the fence. Cut very slow and use some type type of blade lubricant.

Why can't you fit the 5.25" x 4" x 1.25" block in the miter saw with the long edge down on the saw horizontal surface?
Most miter saws can easily fit 4x4 dimensional lumber, which is 3.5" x 3.5"

Use a c-clamp on either side of the blade to hold the block against the fence. Cut very slow and use some type type of blade lubricant.
The gate (open space behind the blade) isn't narrow enough for the split pieces to be supported. I made that mistake once and have a giant crack in my window. I suppose I could use some sacrificial material to close the gate.

If you are going to use a backer, I'd suggest cutting it halfway through, then flip the part and finish the cut. That way, you don't cut through the backer. It will leave a parting line, but you said you would be machining it anyways

Again, clamp really well from both sides of the blade, cut slow and stand off to one side.

Sawsall

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If you are going to use a backer, I'd suggest cutting it halfway through, then flip the part and finish the cut. That way, you don't cut through the backer. It will leave a parting line, but you said you would be machining it anyways

Again, clamp really well from both sides of the blade, cut slow and stand off to one side.
This is the method I used. I didn't have any way to clamp under the saw so I held it by hand and went conservative. Nothing scary happened (this time)

All dressed. They look far more grooved than they are.

block.jpg

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3
Back