How would you drill holes in the end of a long plate?

I'd say if you want accurate holes use the mill . If you want working holes use a drill press and clamp to an angle plate leveling to match your drill press. I'm old school I'd layout and center punch first then drill . Guess ill never change that way I know my lay outs are right if the drawing is , yes I've caught messed up drawings too. But it's also saved me a time or two. When I was right and the part made was wrong , the they say make it fit. But my tails covered.

Clamp scrap to already made part and use following size drill first to "spot" the hole then drill with small drill.

This is now pattern.

Use it to drill holes in another chunk of scrap to test fit.

Drill first 3 small holes then remove guide and finish drill and tap then test fit.

If fit then repeat on final chunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

My first thought; Do you have vertical clearance between the vice and the head of the mill? Then my head starts working on the different methods to fabricate a rigid fixture to clamp in the vise to clamp your plate to. I always add welding into the mix if that's an aption you have. Based on the thread size holding the position is the most critical so I see a fixture similar to this;

https://www.weldsale.com/product/wsknee1012/

If you don't have the clearance then as Bob and others have commented shift what you need too so the piece hangs off the side of the table.

I see that the cover for your mill/drill occupies the same position as mine does.:)

One more option would be if you have a 90 deg. milling attachment for that Jet mill. You could clamp your plate to the mill table set up on some 123 blocks and horizontally drill the end of your plate.

Ted

If you have access to a milling machine with a turret to drill with, I would clamp and square the work to the side of the table, and then swing the ram for clearing the knee with the work.

This is what I ended up doing, worked great.

20170324_145911.jpg

20170324_145926.jpg

Now to finish the rest.

Back