How would you fix this?

As someone said that's a tuff one to learn on....here is how I fix the buba drilled off center broken screws.....I set up the receiver in my mill index off the good screw hole move over the bad one and machine the screw and hole out with a center cutting carbide end mill, retap to a larger screw depending on how messed up it was, make a plug to go in the larger tapped hole screw it in with red lock tight , but not too deep....machine the plug down close and then file/contour to the receiver....then find the correct hole location and drill a new hole in the installed plug and tap to 6-48...cold blue and install the scope mount......I have fixed quite a few like this ................

By drilling a scrap piece of steel for a one time (disposable) guide and clamping that over the correct hole location, I was able to get my #28 drill through without walking (much). After tapping for 8-40 and installing screws for a visual check, the 4 mount holes are visually perfectly aligned. I got the scope on and shot it at lunch today. 3/4 MOA with break in ammo. Gotta love it when a project comes together! I am declaring victory and moving on to the next stage of this project...Dura coating the metal parts and pillar bedding the stock. Thanks for the ideas guys!

The thrill of victory!

:thumbsup:

By drilling a scrap piece of steel for a one time (disposable) guide and clamping that over the correct hole location, I was able to get my #28 drill through without walking (much). After tapping for 8-40 and installing screws for a visual check, the 4 mount holes are visually perfectly aligned. I got the scope on and shot it at lunch today. 3/4 MOA with break in ammo. Gotta love it when a project comes together! I am declaring victory and moving on to the next stage of this project...Dura coating the metal parts and pillar bedding the stock. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Back