How would you hold this for drilling?

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
I have this part that i use my little CNC machine to make.
1707575117907.png

I need to drill/ream and tap it next.
1707575144075.png

I have a PM728VT mill that i plan to do those operations. With this pocket hole in the middle of the part. What is the best way to hold this part for drilling in the direction i need to go? I dont have a lathe.

I mean i can throw it in my 4" vise with the part sticking up. If you think that is all i need i will continue. It is just a lot of part sticking up and a long hole to drill.

3inch total length from end to end.

Chad

I'll second the idea of using an angle plate .

Angle plate i do not have but i can get. I am very new to this... is a 123 block a locating block?

Like run bolts through the 123 block and sandwich the part between angle plate and 123 block?

What i do have is a 246 block. Maybe i can use it.

Put the 246 block in vise.

Camp part to 246 block... strap clamps work? to hold part to 246 block?

Yes, that is how I would go about it.
Make sure you are square to the spindle against the angle plate and then clamp a locating block to that itself. Then you can easily remove the part without moving the fixture. Definitely worth the effort if you have multiple parts to make.
Joe

How tall are the jaws of your vise?

If the jaws are less than half the height of the part then you could make a new set of taller jaws that are also thicker then the stock jaws.
Clamp with the side facing the camera in the first pic against the jaw face.

I can't tell from your drawing, but are the two holes in the bottom of the block tapped ? If so, why not use those two holes to bolt the part to an angle plate, clamp the angle plate to the mill table and then perform the needed operations.

Ted

Back