How would you make this internal gear?

I may be confused. Which gear Id are you wanting to duplicate? Left or right?
Chuck

You might also check with a few places that specialize in making gears, a few examples below. You would probably want to heat treat the gear.

Make up a push broach from tool steel. Cutting the outside profile shouldn't be too difficult and certainly far easier than shaping the inside splines directly.

In fact, I think you can cheat with the smaller diameter and not even have to cut that into the broach. I'll knock up a CAD doodle if you like? They're parallel, straight flank splines, so dead simple.

The I. d. of the gear on the left
Sounds like you would prefer to make this gear yourself,(the whole idea behind being a Hobby Machinist). I don’t have a good idea how to index the broach or other way of cutting those splines. But I’m sure you can buy spline sleeves, or couplings from most industrial suppliers, then fit a ring gear to the outside.
Chuck

We have a 18" Cincinnati Tray top with a few bad gears.
I need to duplicate the I.D. like the gear on the left beside it. I have some bronze I'm going to use.
I have a broach, but how to index it correctly? I was thinking of making a key and attaching it to the side of
the broach guide. How would you do this? This is at work! A want to be machine shop. I have limited machines and tooling to work with. My equipment at home is better. Mine is new, or near new.

Fab a shouldered broach guide bushing with 6 equally spaced slots for the broach. After you broach the first slot, install a custom fit key to locate the bushing on that slot. Then broach the rest of the slots.

I think I'll go with what Welding rod 1 said. It seems the simplest. Thanks all.

It's almost finished,of course the setup took the longest. I missed the mark grinding My tool bit, went .006 undersized. I'll take care of that tomorrow and start reassembly. Fun days ahead.

Attachments

• 20230814_090330.jpg
    20230814_090330.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230814_134504.jpg
    20230814_134504.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 10
Back