How would you take off a few thousandths from this gib?

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title suggests, I'd like to know your ideas for supporting this brass gib I making in a manner so that it won't "flop" around while milling a few thousandths off the top. I supported the ends with some quickly homemade machinists jacks but it's definitely not enough, I don't believe. Any ideas? BTW, this is a gib for a little Rusnok mill I purchased a while back that came with a surprise... a missing gib! I have another vise but using the two together is definitely not ideal as the jaws are a little taller that this old Kurt D40. Thanks for any and all suggestions and hope I've posted in the correct place! -John

IMG-9372.jpg

take two piece of angle iron and squeeze it between them, use your parallel if thin enough to set height. The angles should give enough support if you take light cuts.

I have long parallels that I could use also to hold that .. if you have those, use them. Just set them up horizontal instead of vertical to press and hold the piece clamped.

As the title suggests, I'd like to know your ideas for supporting this brass gib I making in a manner so that it won't "flop" around while milling a few thousandths off the top. I supported the ends with some quickly homemade machinists jacks but it's definitely not enough, I don't believe. Any ideas? BTW, this is a gib for a little Rusnok mill I purchased a while back that came with a surprise... a missing gib! I have another vise but using the two together is definitely not ideal as the jaws are a little taller that this old Kurt D40. Thanks for any and all suggestions and hope I've posted in the correct place! -John

View attachment 457043
Don't be skeert lil feller........

If the width isn't critical, you can mill one half and then slide it over to mill the second half. With care, you should be able to keep dimension within a thou or two. If you absolutely have to mill it in a single setup, then John's suggestion in post #3 is the way to go.

Well darn Rabler, you beat me to the punch.
Best way I believe......sitting here in my uneasy chair 500 miles away with a broken phone screen lol

These are awesome recommendations that I never thought of. I like the idea of clamping between two pieces of CRS the best as it will be the easiest set up since I only need to take off a few thousandths. side milling with a piece of sacrificial MDF under it is also great and I'm sure that will come in handy at some point! Thanks so much for all of these helpful comments! -John

Well, without having to explain it exactly, I basically am having to make a “parallel” to go under the piece I’m making the gib from. The new gib piece is a few thou under the real parallels I have so when I close the vise, all is solid except the piece I want to finish machining. Go figure. This should get me there however, thanks again!

Attachments

• E2EFD72F-AF9C-4899-8B19-A4458607CE6B.jpeg
    E2EFD72F-AF9C-4899-8B19-A4458607CE6B.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 18
Back