HP/cubic inch/min

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
This site https://www.enerpac.com/en-us/training/e/cutting-technology says that for mild steel it takes like 2 hp to end mill a cubic inch per minute.

Today on my 1 hp PM25V I had to remove a .7 x 2.6 by .95” deep edge notch in cold roll. After a bit (not a lot) of fiddling I ended up conventional milling with 600 rpm with a 4 tooth 5/8” carbide (not a hogger) at .3” depth, .3” step, at a feed rate of .6”/min. So, .054 cubic inches per minutes. Well short of the .5 cubic inches/min I am supposed to be able to do.

Any sense as to a better depth/step/feed or better tool to have gotten my removal rate up to the .5 in^3 expected? Or is their table only for the big, multi-horsepower machines and does not scale down to hobby equipment?

This must have been discussed before, but could not find a thread on it. Would welcome a pointer to it from some previous year and I will read up.

Thanks.

-Bill

Last edited:
Unless there’s a typo in your measurements, .3” x .3” x .6”/min = .054 cu.in/min, not .018. Still well short of your .5 cu.in./min expectation. BUT, if that .6”/min was a typo and was really 6”/min, that’s .54 cu.in./min. Pretty much dead on what you were expecting.

Tom

Last edited:
Typo. Thanks so much for the catch. Fixed in the posting now. -Bill

Back