HSS Lathe Tools chipping, what might cause this?

That looks good to me. I think it will be a good setup for you. Having a mill and a lathe open all sorts of options. Being able to do odd setups on them opens still more.

I think the machined surface will have enough bite for jb weld. Particularly when you have that ridge for downward force on the glass to push on.

I used masking tape to hold it together for the epoxy to cure. It doesn't take much. You just want it to stay put, the amount of pressure isn't a big deal.

Epoxied the pyroceram to the platen. Waiting for it to cure. Tomorrow morning should be 24 hours.
PXL_20201005_143052183.jpg
Totally messed up the welding on the sheet metal guard for the bottom wheel. Not going to show the picture. Too embarrassing. Sort of a combination of bird poop and blow through. Never attempted to do something this thin. Kind of disappointed, but guess I shouldn't be surprised. (Yeah, should have practiced on something first!) Maybe it can be saved, but it sure is rough now.

Got my piece of Pyroceram today! Looking forward to modifying my belt sander. Guess I should get some fresher belts, too...

There are advantages and disadvantages to any jig, and cost is always a legitimate constant in the |Good|Quick|Cheap| balance. The advantage of the South Bend style jig is that the angles are adjustable. Disadvantages are cost and the size of the jig requires a fair amount of overhang. Here is a link to the South Bend reproduction by the Alisam Company.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any jig, and cost is always a legitimate constant in the |Good|Quick|Cheap| balance. The advantage of the South Bend style jig is that the angles are adjustable. Disadvantages are cost and the size of the jig requires a fair amount of overhang. Here is a link to the South Bend reproduction by the Alisam Company.

Do you own this jig? If so, how do you like it?

Do you own this jig? If so, how do you like it?
I do, and like the results. My grinder rest is a piece of crap I haven't yet replaced, so I tend to blame small errors on it and my inexperienced hand rather than the jig. The graduations are large, but all in all I don't regret the purchase. I have, uh, kissed the wheel a couple of times hence the caution on needing the tool over hang.
As I mentioned in another thread, I also use a tangential tool holder for a lot of my work, so the jig doesn't see constant use. Also once ground, honing can minimize the need to regrind a tool.

For what's it worth, I tend to do my honing on the vice anvil as it's steady and provides plenty of clearance around the stone.

I also use their bull's eye for tool centering and really like it. I've made a simple height gauge but find the tool quicker and eliminates any doubt I may have that I've managed to knock the gauge.

I remember searching for an original SB jig over 30 years ago and could not find one in nice condition so I learned to grind tools without it. Glad I did but I always thought that design was pretty cool.

I remember searching for an original SB jig over 30 years ago and could not find one in nice condition so I learned to grind tools without it. Glad I did but I always thought that design was pretty cool.
I think I looked around after spotting this and decided on the purchase for the same reason.

Back