HSS or Carbide inserts fot lathe turning????

stupoty.... To tell you the truth, I think they are. I bought them at an estate sale where the owner had a lathe. I bought all the lathe bits for $5.00. It's possible that they are not, but I cannot even run a file on them. I'm going to run to MSC and pick a few up and probably order some more from ENCO because the same bits are about half the price. The carbide just doesn't seem like it's the way to go at this time due to the cost and my inexperience.

pineyfolks... Sorry if I'm asking juvenile questions. I really want to get into this and have to crawl before walking.

- - - Updated - - -

If the second pick shows the machine as you were using it, your cutting on the back corner of the tool. The bevel at the end of the cut sort of confirms that.
Swing the cutter about 45 degrees so the leading edge is cutting and the end of the tool has slight clearance to the right.

Greg

That's where I get confused. There are so many variables with the turning tools and the compound. All of them swing around 360 degrees.

Set the tool bit perpendicular to the work, so the end of the cutter is in contact, then swing it a little bit clock wise so only the left corner of the tool is touching the work. This should give you a starting point.
The angle of the compound doesn't matter for straight turning, its used for cutting tapers or advancing the tool bit while threading.
Hope this helps.
Greg

Thats where I get confused???? Pretty safe to say my lathe compound has been set on 29 1/2* most of my life. Cause I cant see the little
numbers. Every year passes these number get smaller and smaller so it stays. So just play with the tool holder never mind the compound.
And then with it set that way you can really get more feel by advancing the compound. You will see why later on "called splittin hairs"
If you can grind a ***** punch you will get the idea as averyone says. Also I think sometime somewhere Tommy G said he doesnt bother with
the top, I too, so it can be sharpened time & time & time again (just a quick shave job) More confusing left and right tools. Back in the day
the shaper people thought the lathe people were stupid with the left & right terminology and their right, its backwards. Carbide and HSS?
I stand with the thought of some machines simply dont like it. Its not the operator, but its the machine. Even more exciting, is the time
you will do the perfect turning and the next comes out horrible, with some kind of mystery metal.
I just remembered the note on TomG you will have to find out what tool holder you have. Some have no rake and some are a built in around
16 degrees or so I'm talking about lantern style. You will find that out fast when you get into threading.

I'm just Joking with ya. Turning the tool post will let you position the tool to get in the best location for the part your turning. The compound is set at the angle you want to cut and will only cut that angle when you turn the compound crank handle. Hope that helps.

Pipehack,
Are you out of 597? I am a Ironworker from 63.What side of the city are you on? I seen you are in chicago I am in NW Indiana. I will look at your pics a little closerand post any help or hints.

I'm a plumber. Local 130. I got hurt two weeks ago. An apprentice drove on top of my foot with a scissor lift before I got out of the way. I'm in the south suburbs. I just got back to work after being laid off (blessing in disguise) for 2 months. I was in house at O'Hare, but the idiot foreman was a major ***hole. I couldn't stand him anymore and got back in his face when he got onto mine. Got laid off for disrespect. It was really reverse racism. I took everything out of me not to knock the guy out.

Pipehack ask away most of us love to help. I learnd from these groups and some good books. Just please do not give up. Once you get past what is going wrong here youwill be on your way to turning some really cool stuff (and of course buying a mill)

stupoty.... To tell you the truth, I think they are. I bought them at an estate sale where the owner had a lathe. I bought all the lathe bits for $5.00. It's possible that they are not, but I cannot even run a file on them. I'm going to run to MSC and pick a few up and probably order some more from ENCO because the same bits are about half the price. The carbide just doesn't seem like it's the way to go at this time due to the cost and my inexperience.

pineyfolks... Sorry if I'm asking juvenile questions. I really want to get into this and have to crawl before walking.

- - - Updated - - -

That's where I get confused. There are so many variables with the turning tools and the compound. All of them swing around 360 degrees.

YeahI know that guy, Do you know where portage, IN. is that is where I am. If you think it would help you out I can meet up with you and see if we can work this out. No fee no strings just one Union guy/ hobby machinist helping each other. I could bring out a known good HSS bit and we could try that. Icould look at what you ground and see if it is good or what it might need. I'm no expert but Ihave been able to gring my own bits and get them to cut. I'm laid off right now so could be available any time. Call me if you want my help
Mark
7**-653-1209 South side area code no 3's

I'm a plumber. Local 130. I got hurt two weeks ago. An apprentice drove on top of my foot with a scissor lift before I got out of the way. I'm in the south suburbs. I just got back to work after being laid off (blessing in disguise) for 2 months. I was in house at O'Hare, but the idiot foreman was a major ***hole. I couldn't stand him anymore and got back in his face when he got onto mine. Got laid off for disrespect. It was really reverse racism. I took everything out of me not to knock the guy out.

YeahI know that guy, Do you know where portage, IN. is that is where I am. If you think it would help you out I can meet up with you and see if we can work this out. No fee no strings just one Union guy/ hobby machinist helping each other. I could bring out a known good HSS bit and we could try that. Icould look at what you ground and see if it is good or what it might need. I'm no expert but Ihave been able to gring my own bits and get them to cut. I'm laid off right now so could be available any time. Call me if you want my help
Mark
7**-653-1209 South side area code no 3's
Seeing the tool first hand is your best bet, and getting to know a fellow machinist will work you through problems, plus you can borrow tooling for those one off jobs. It will also save you when you need that little piece of stock and your buddy has 10' of it laying around. Check the member map, you may have someone next door.

Just don't get discouraged. It's one of those things like riding a bicycle. Harder to explain than do. One you see it and get the feel, it just comes natural.

O.k.... I bought a new grinding wheel, wire wheel(because it was time) and a new dressing stone(made by Norton). The guy at Sears hardware didn't even know there was such a thing as dressing a grinding wheel. I squared off the tool bit and even dykem'd it. I'll scribe it in a little while with the angles as per the "lathe tool operations and Machinist charts" book that came with my lathe when I bought it. Hell..... I bought some new belt sander belts. I post up some more pics and let you guys know how it goes/went.

Back