HSS Stock

oskar

Registered
Registered
I’m looking to buy a few pieces of HSS steel to make lathe tooling but all I can find places for aluminum or large quantity steel. Anyone knows sites which sell by the piece? Something like 1/4"x1/4”x36” long or 24 feet long cut to several lengths for transport. If the place is in Canada, the better

I don't even know if a person can buy "stock lengths" of HSS like that, I've certainly never run across it. If you're looking for lathe tooling, why not just buy the blanks sold for that purpose? I usually get mine from KBC Tools -- a reasonable variety to choose from and I find both the price and shipping to be pretty good. Just a thought.

-frank

image.png

I do not think that HSS is sold that way, only as tool bits and short hardened rounds I'd guess that plenty could be found on e bay. I also used to buy a lot of tools from KBC. Tools are a lot like "critical mass" once you have enough, more will be attracted to you.

I believe I saw 4" or 8" x 1/4" pieces on Aliexpress or Ebay
Mark

Thanks, KBC it is, I dont know why I forgot about them because I use them in the past to buy my end mills
Sorry about it

Many of the tool steels can be bought in 18 or 36 inch lengths unhardened at places like McMaster Carr as well as many tool supply houses. They will come in a paper envelope with heat treat instructions.

Back