HTP 2500 has arrived!

skcncx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My HTP 2500 has arrived and I've been trying it out!

I have to give a big shout out to the HTP team as they (as in one person) has answered and discussed many questions, concerns though numerous emails the past few weeks. It's their fault I didn't just add the Invertig 221, I was just after an AC TIG at first! Before and after the sales process they have been great. I'm sure they need a breather from me for a little while.

So my first impressions...
  • The menus are very easy to navigate and easy to flip between processes or different synergic programs.

• The menus remember all common/shared parameters between processes. Going from mig synergic to pulse and double pulse is very quick as you don't have to keep re-selecting the same wire type and size... just quickly "next" through each screen until you get to the 1 parameter you care to add/change. Nice touch.

• If you 'know what you are doing' the written manual is really unnecessary as the interface is very natural. Yes, I read manuals, have referred to it several times along with questions to HTP... but that was more about different settings, their affect and what they mean, not welder specific stuff. The video manual is pretty succinct and there's more material covered than you realize. I had to watch a second time.

• In a small shop space, it's pretty quiet but when the fans do kick on after use, they fire up and a few minutes later ramp down... a nice creature comfort no loud jet fans on all the time.

• All the consumables, MIG gun, TIG torch, cables, etc.. all high quality, nothing chintzy

• The 250 Amp HeavyHitters 26 series TIG torch is a lot bigger than I expected, but I hear it's not really that much bigger than a 17 series torch. I've only see these in pictures on the web which is hard to judge until you have it in your hand.

• I replaced the TIG food pedal in place for the slider amp control... but after seeing how big the torch is and a first timer TIG welder I chickened out and went back and ordered the foot pedal. (maybe the TIG button one day)

• No loss on the slider amp control... I can use that for the MIG process where it'll be a natural fit and who knows, maybe it'll find it's way on the tig torch after experience. For MIG though, I think I'm going to like having that feature, like pulse modes, didn't know what I was missing.

Do I like how it welds? (keep in mind I'm self taught hobby welder at best and have only run MIG 4043 .047" wire up to this point, so much to learn)
  • MIG synergic spray transfer just as good as my first welder, a TransSteel 2200. That's all I can compare it to.

• Single pulse mode on 4043 .035 is pretty sweet! For aluminum and spanning/filling larger fit up gaps it was so much easier than just spray transfer. This may be my go to mode for most of my aluminum welding... which is primarily 1/8 wall tubing of various sizes.

• I'm not good enough to get good results with double pulse yet, still need to experiment with different parameters that work well for me.

• Just a few learning passes on TIG so far with 2% 3/32 ceriated tungsten. HF arc started pretty smooth. Used a #5 pyrex clear cup, AC tig on aluminum and lots to learn but some practice I can get the hang of it.
If I could have the following... that would be great
  • Pulse/Double pulse MIG for 4043 .047" wire (it does have it for 5356 .047"). I am trying 5356 now and it's not bad, but I do prefer 4043, maybe just what I'm used to. Per other threads and conversions, the machine just isn't beefy enough to handle it. It not that they didn't want to put it in as an option.

• And related to the above point... a 15 foot lead on my MIG gun. Oh well, it came with a 10 ft lead. I'm ordering a second gun with 11.5ft. In the end, it's just a change, really doesn't stop me from doing anything... and if anything, if it improves feadability with the softer 4043 wire, that probably out weighs the benefits of a longer lead.

• Silicon bronze synergic program... though I may never get to this. I have to run that on manual MIG mode. Doesn't look too intimidating if I find the right volts and wire feed settings.

• Magically make me a better welder!

I'm very satisfied with this so far! For an all-in-one it's hard to beat from what I could find available... I'm not sure if there's any other AC/DC TIG and synergic MIG w/pulse and double pulse options. I think a few have the AC/DC with synergic MIG but I'm not aware of any that also include pulse programs..., at least here in the US market.

Last edited:
Sounds like overall you are please with the machine, as am I! I hadn't seen this post as I've been working a lot lately, but I hope to get more use out of mine soon.

Most certainly glad I have it. Very easy to switch processes and leave it all connected. I finished my lathe stand with it, 1/2" aluminum flat bar in t-joint, 6ft long, on both sides and worked out great. Though, the Kempii mig gun I ordered got very hot with continuous welding at max amps, it's rated for 300amp, but only 35% duty cycle and a noticeably smaller neck size than the HTP 26 series mig gun. I still may add a binzel AT ABIMIG mig gun with 13ft lead.. and have dedicated mig guns/liners for different wire types and sizes. There's no reason not to use the HTP mig gun unless you want a longer lead.

However, since then, I've had a little break in my welding projects, but soon I'll be using it to weld a bunch of flanges onto schedule 80 6061 pipe using my rotary table. I'll MIG weld them, but I may try a couple with TIG just to get more experience.

A few more reps with the HTP 2500....

This is 1/8" 5052 sheet metal, outside corner joint using ER 4043, .035 wire using the single pulse mode with a +1 on the trim. In total I had around 12 feet of outside corners for a custom electrical enclosure.

I had 2-3 burn throughs from dwelling too long. I did the entire box in one go. The single pulse, for this thickness allowed my to slow down compared to just straight spray transfer where I typically would burn through relatively easily.

5356 is probably a better option for 5052 aluminum but 4043 is what was loaded up.

May not be professional, but I’m really happy with it, a little filing to really clean it up and all done!

This will end up being painted... so, anyone reading this and knows how to get good results painting aluminum... I'm all ears. I never seem to get a good bond, even if I sand it with a 80-120 grit, use aluminum primer and buy the industrial paint cans... it looks good, but you look at it wrong and the paint just scratches off easily.

1699370245769.png

Last edited:
Nice work! I don't do much aluminum often, if at all, but I do know it can do it very well once you follow all the proper steps. I have a few projects on the back-burner, so hopefully when I return back home from work I can get to them and hopefully make a video.

Back